It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

Momandfamily HB User
cord impingement - what next?

July 15 I think my disc herniated but this was not confirmed until Sept 9. Two kidney infections sent my Dr down different evaluation paths as they masked the true source of my constant pain during the summer. MRI just found moderate size right para central disc herniation at T8-9 with cord impingement. Left foraminal stenosis at T6-7. There are small fatty change along the upper endplate of T6 and larger area of fatty change along the upper L2. Related to degenerative disc disease. There are small cystic changes along the right T12-L1 and L1-L2 neural foremen which likely represent small nerve root sleeve cysts. I was put on Lyrica 25 mg twice a day stepping up each week by +25mg every 7days to a max of 300 mg a day. I was told to stop at the level my pain is minimal. Tylenol 3's or Lorazepam 0.5 mg I take on a bad pain day to take the edge off. I am waiting to see a Nero Surgeon but told it could be months.
What do I do now? I was told no more golf, skiing, jogging, Pilates.. just to ride my stationary bike. Trying acupuncture, massage, got a Tens machine lent to me, abdominal strengthening. But I feel like I am trying different things but have no idea if what they are doing is helping. I still have chronic pain though I get through my days which are now very limited on what I can do. I cannot drive the hour into work more than 2 days a week and then can only stay 4-5 hours in the office before the pain increases to a point I cannot focus. Is this my life now? My young teenage kids want me out hiking and kayaking etc. again. At 45 yrs I am feeling overwhelmed with this back pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
(female)

Momandfamily HB User
Re: cord impingement - what next?

Has anyone had thoracic herniated disc with cord impingement? What has been your journey since getting diagnosed? How would you compare your quality of life to before?

Last edited by Momandfamily; 10-11-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Do you have a copy of your MRI report? If so, please copy it off and post it. Then we can try to answer your questions a bit more accurately.

Briefly though, if there is cord impingement in the thoracic or cervical area, there is always the danger that if anything worsens, the spinal cord could be permanently damaged, resulting in possible paralysis, etc. It all depends on the extent of the impingement, what is causing it, etc.

(It is always the unintended consequences that one worries about with cord impingement: things like a fall, getting rear-ended or in a traffic accident, etc.)

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

From what I was always taught, the thoracic region is the last area that is usually injured and the most difficult to treat especially when it comes to surgery.

I worked for 20 plus years handling bodily injury claims while working as an insurance investigator. So I am used to reading MRI reports.

The cervical and lumbar are the most likely areas to be affected when it comes to injury.

Surgery on the thoracic region is rough since you have to deal with the rib cage.

All of my injuries/surgeries have been confinded to the cervical and lumbar regtion.

cord impingement worries me. but it depends on the degree. who are you seeing for evaluation? Orthopedic? Neurosurgeon? I agree posting the exact MRI report would be of benefit.

Has surgery been indicated? Have you obtained a 2nd or 3rd opinion? It always helps getting other opinions.

Please post the MRI so we can comment further. Good luck

Old 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

All my report said was....found moderate size right para central disc herniation at T8-9 with cord impingement. Left foraminal stenosis at T6-7. There are small fatty change along the upper endplate of T6 and larger area of fatty change along the upper L2. Related to degenerative disc disease. There are small cystic changes along the right T12-L1 and L1-L2 neural foremen which likely represent small nerve root sleeve cysts.

My family Dr is referring me to a nero. surgeon but I have been told it could be upto a year until my first appointment. So I am trying to learn what others have done. If physical therapy has ever worked to get the disc to move in enough to release the spinal chord?

Closed Thread