It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User
Re: When does BMP finish growing or fusing?

[QUOTE=pipkins;5072090]Hello again jazzmine, Just realized I dont think I had BNP as mine was a screw fixation.
wishes pipkins[/QUOTE]

Mine will have screws also, but as in all cases they have to use a graft as well to fuse....do you remember at least what they used for you? Was it your c1 c2?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

So from what I understood the BMP side effects are almost immediate...within the first few weeks. If that hurdle is passed then the other side effects are cancers most within the 2-5 year range. I guess if you're cancer free in those years then the chances of having other side effects are diminished. Am I right? I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm going to talk to the surgeon again this week about other options.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
(female)

pipkins HB User

I may seem a bit naive but I didnt ask, I was given the option of the cage or op now after reading other stories maybe I should have asked more questions but at the time I was in so much pain, the hospital had missed the break on the xrays the day before and they rang my husband the following day to say dont move your wife she's broken her neck, then everthing happened so quickly I was taken to the spinal unit at Queens Med they operated that night. We just assumed they knew what was best for me.
pipkins

Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Jazzmine -- I've been reading about this surgery and it sounds rather frightening. Do you think yours is a condition you were born with?

It seems to me you have done your homework and understand the various issues you are facing. You have seen a number of very fine surgeons and have selected the one you feel most comfortable with. I think it is time to trust him and go with what he feels is best. It does seem that you have issues that may make regular fusion difficult and so he feels using BMP will give you the best chance of a successful fusion...so if I were in your shoes, I think I would trust that he is more than aware of the possible complications and will act accordingly. He will use the least amount of BMP that he can get by with, and you will have a good outcome.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Jazzmine,
Yes, the action of bmp is limited but it stimulates your own bone growth cells to make new bone, so it can still cause overstimulation of your own bone to grow. That is what the problem is with bmp, as well as the cancer risks, over use of it, and using it off label.
The safety studies done on bmp were done by doctors who were on Medtronic's payroll at the time of the studies and outcomes that were less than what medtronic wanted in the outcomes were left out......so that the stat's were skewed....
Think of bmp as kind of a super charged kick start to your body's own bone growth cells- the proteins/chemicals in the device mixed with your own bone, cause the bone growth cells to jump start to making your own bone...while the action of stimulation to your own bone cells is short lived ( ie a couple of weeks time), it's action does not shut off your body's kick start once it is in place.....
Kind of like using jumper cables to start a car- once you take them off the battery of the car that you are trying to start, the engine keeps running......same principle.
I don't envy you having to make this decision. I know if I were told all of the pertinent information, I would have refused it.....I had no idea that it could or would do what it has done to me.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
(female)

Jazzmine1212 HB User

I had my c1 c2 fused with my hip bone and my head feels horrible. It's only been 5 days since my surgery, but from what I'm reading your supposed to feel better after a couple days! I'm in more pain in my neck and head now than before. I know he also cut a nerve that goes behind the head to relieve pain I was having before. When my neck was in a brace and stabilized it felt better, but not 100% better than normal. Now after surgery, my neck and head feel a lot of pain and pressure...I also still can't put my head back and sleep on my back because of the pressure and pain that it causes in my head...just like it did before surgery, but worse. Am I doomed? It seems so from what I'm reading.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
(female)

pipkins HB User
Smile Re: When does BMP finish growing or fusing?

Hi Jazzmine1212, Sorry you are in so much discomfort, it does get better I promise, I was more or less bed bound for a couple of weeks with a district nurse visiting daily to change dressings. I assume you had stitches from top of head to neck? this does feel very tight whilst cut heals but gradu***y you will improve. I'm a very determined ( some say stubborn ) person n push myself but it's not always the best route to go, my advice (for what it's worth )is take your time n your body will tell you what to do, there's no rush, remember this can efffect the rest of your life.
I Hope this helps
Kind thoughts pipkins

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Jazzmine,

So sorry to hear you're still having pain now that's concerning. Something to know is that for most spine surgeries the first two weeks of recovery is the worst, then it gets better from there. So you only have 9 more days of the worst of the recovery period to go!

I've had three spine surgeries now that used BMP, and I've never heard about the cancer risk. Yikes! I guess I'm going to need to do some research on it now.

Closed Thread