It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

dsantosnc HB User
back and neck

i have c 5 and 6 pressing on my spinal cord c 3 and 4 with bone spurs pressing on a nerve and spinalstenosis in the lower back. i'm gonna have the shot next week but the last one i had in the lower back only helped for about 2 weeks. i refused to let her send me back to work until i found out if the shot was gonna help. i have tingling going down my arm and the nerves in my legs jump constantly. (i cant see it but feel it) i also suffer from psoriatic arthritis which is i think the main culprit to all of this. she said surgery would be my only relief for the neck. i was wondering what everyone else experince has been. i deal with peoples money all day so when i'm hurting i cant think clearly. would the shot be worth it or should i go ahead with surgery

Thanks
Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: back and neck

Neck surgery(in most cases)doesn't take the pain away.

The Following User Says Thank You to nochange For This Useful Post:
dsantosnc (10-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

First of all I have to disagree that neck/cervical surgery doesn't relieve the pain.

I have been thru 5 major surgeries between the lumbar and cervical regions. the most difficult surgery I went thru was on the cervical region for Kyphosis which required a 2 stage surgery. The first part was putting Harrington Rods in the cervical/thoracic region and the second stage was a bone graft going thru the anterior position. It was a total of 12 hours for the surgery then wearing a neck collar for 4 plus months. While recovery was extremely difficult in the end it was worth it.

Plus prior to that I had cervical stenosis which required a decompression. I was fine after the surgery, no pain and back to my normal routines.

So with all the surgeries that I have thru it resolved the issues and I was functional again.

The problem in my case at least is that while each of the surgeries were successfu in dealing with the problem, taking the pain away and getting me back to work, is that a "NEW" problem would crop up. The new issues were not related to the old problems.

Guess I am prone to spine issues.

As to the injections I find them ineffective. I went thru shots several times. The first one would give me a very short period of relieve. The second one was ineffective in that there was no relief at all. didnt even bother with the 3rd one since the first one was so short lived in being effective.

If you only had 2 weeks of relief is a 3rd one really going to be helpful?

I assume youve tried the physical therapy route.

All I can recommend is if all conservative treatment has been tried and not successful then surgery may be your only option. But surgery should be the last choice.

One recommendation is that make sure you see a qualified orthopedic or neurosurgeon. A doctor that is trained and treats spine issues on a daily basis. Also I tend to prefer someone that is affiliated with a major teaching hospital. Thats just my opinion but I found out the hard way of finding the best doctors possible to treat you especially with surgery..

Good luck in whatever you decide.

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach3 For This Useful Post:
dsantosnc (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
(female)

dsantosnc HB User

I am going to a nerosuregen and he sent me to pain management.. for the shots at the time i told him surgery wasnt an option but now since i have been out of work for 3 weeks and still no relief maybe i should reconsider i am gonna try the shot. then if there is no improvement when i go back to her than i guess i will have to look at other options...all i know is that i'm miserable and no one understands cause they cant see it. thank you for all the info

Closed Thread