It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
Sciatic recovery and back pain

copy from another post that was not getting any responses, so I figured I put in the wrong forum. First post was 2months ago. So here is the follow up...

Well, I am getting some mobility back. I have been to see a pain mngt doctor and he put me on Methadone and I was allergic so now we are trying Morphine. It seems to be working. I was so scared to try either one but my pain levels were to the point I was desperate.

My question now is that even though I was immobile with my whole body my left leg the one that was in the most pain seems to have wasted away, my calve is almost 2inches smaller than the right and achy all the time I have been doing some stretches and trying to lift my leg but just can't lift it won't move from a seated position I cannot raise my left thigh/leg. my mind tells me to do it and I can feel the muscles tense up but no leverage, it wont budge.

I was wonderi.g if anyone has any suggestions. It has me very concerned that it might have some perm nerve damage. It has been two months since my massage that aggrevated my sciatica to this point but with no insurance I have been doing all I can. Remembering some old pt exercises, more massage, bone soup, medications, walking.

Shoulder spasms are horrible, arms go numb and hands dont work right, side pain still alive, but I have not had a Migraine in almost a month! great improvement there as well.

I can actually walk the whole store now, with only 1 to 2 hours of rest afterwards. great improvement from not being able to walk at all 2 months ago. any advice would be greatly welcome thanks for reading...

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User
Re: Sciatic recovery and back pain

I can't tell from your post what you have been able to try beyond medication. It looks like you had a disectomy. Was that helpful? Have you had other concervative therapies, like injections? I can tell you that heat helps me a lot with pain. While I currently use a rice-filled heat pack that is microwavable, I have just purchased a therasage infared heating pad. I have read a lot about them and I'll let all know if it is helpful.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

[QUOTE=Calin;5073093]I can't tell from your post what you have been able to try beyond medication. It looks like you had a disectomy. Was that helpful? Have you had other concervative therapies, like injections? I can tell you that heat helps me a lot with pain. While I currently use a rice-filled heat pack that is microwavable, I have just purchased a therasage infared heating pad. I have read a lot about them and I'll let all know if it is helpful.[/QUOTE]

I have had several steroid injections as well as nerve root burning, which did help a bit and i plan on doing again as soon as insurance kicks in.... I have done two surgeries and three rounds of pt. I use a tense unit daily, which i love, but only works for the spot that I have it on and while I have it on. I have rice socks as well and love them. Heat seems to feel good in the moment but aggrevates in the long run. Ice helps and I use a mixture of rubbing alcool and water. I have not heard of the pads that you mentioned and I will look that up today thank you.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 10-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

When you talk about issues above the waist, it makes me wonder if you don't have an issue going on in the cervical disc area....leg pain can be caused by something pushing on the spinal cord at the cervical area, even though it is most often caused by a lumbar issue.

Muscle wasting is not a common result that goes along with sciatic pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (10-16-2012)
Closed Thread