It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
(male)

Boopie1963 HB User
The Pain

The pain OMG I can't wait until 11/1 and finally be done with this
If I was told that there was nothing that could be done I think I would rather be parolized from the waste down and pain free that live like this

I have a herniated L5/S1 at 12-15mm with the sciatic nerve being compressed causing pain from my back to my toes with weakness and numbness in my calf and foot. Thank god it's on my left side and I can still drive although it's about killing me to drive more than 30 min

They have me on hydrocodone 5/325 1x8 hr gabamenten 300 mg 1x8 hr and Tramadol 50mg as needed for break through pain and it's still killing me

14 more days to go I can't wait
What can be done to help until my surgery to help with the pain

I work at a desk job sitting 9+ hr a day with a 1 1/4 hr commute I get up at least 10 min or more per hr and ice both ways on the commute I have the meds set up so I take one or the other every 4 hr so I have the overlap but still by 2 in the afternoon it starts to break through the meds and by sundown it's all I can do to drive home

Thanks for letting me vent
Boopie

Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: The Pain

Oh im so sorry! I have severe pain and i had what you have when i was 26. I couldnt work.Can you get a note from your dr thst you can lay down for 15 or so minutes & ice during the work day? Maybe get 7.5 hydrocodone every four hours & gabapentin 600mg til surgery. Work only 7hrs ,skip lunch & go home. TENS saves my life sometimes. Do you have one? Seems like hot baths work better than narcotics for me sometomes. That commute is the killer. OMG. Is there some one you could ride with? Call your surgeon, tell him/ her what you have said here & ser what is suggested. My neurosurgeon put me in hospital a week before surgery for intense PT. God bless you and if you cant work you cant work. Best of blessings on your surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
(male)

Boopie1963 HB User

Gmak

Thank You I will see if the doctor can increase my meds
I don't want to stay out of work yet I'm trying to save my time for later

Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Boopie:

I have been thru 7 spine surgeries to date and quite honestly not sure if I am done or not.

Two of the surgeries was to implant then remove a Spinal Cord Stimulator to help deal with pain. It was removed because it did nothing for the pain.

The other surgeries that I had was 2 surgeries on the lumbar spine which included putting in Harrington Rods.

The other 3 surgeries were to the neck. One was for stenosis.
The other two actually was to correct one problem. Due to the severity of the surgery it had to be done in 2 stages. The first part was to put Harrington Rods in the cervical/thoracic area that surgery lasted 8 hours. The second part of the surgery was done a week later and lasted 4 hours to do the bone graft from the front.

I currently still have neck and lumbar issues. After each surgery a NEW problem would eventually come about.

As to pain it never goes away for me. I have severe shoulder pain at times. Then at times it is centralized in that it feels like my spine is being crushed.

I still have low back pain. Standing, sitting or walking for any length of time is an issue. Getting in and out of bed or out of a chair is an issue as well.
I have been on disability going on 10 years. I worked at a desk job and as I said sitting was an issue.

I too am on hydrocodone but the mg. are 7.5-750 and tizanidine 2 mgs. I can take the hydroconde --- 1 1/2 tablets 4 times a day and the muscle relaxant 3 times a day. When I am on the medication sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. And at times I feel out of it in that I get very groggy and can't sleep enough.

I also tend to lose my balance when walking. I have numbness in my both legs. It originally started with the left leg but now is in the right leg as well.
It's like think of going to the dentist and having novacaine but 1000 times worse and it never ever goes away.

I understand the pain that you are in. At times I feel the pain and I want to scream.

My spine issues started in 1988 and has progressed from there.

I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming surgery. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

Boopie1963....I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Is it microdiscectomy? I have your exact issues, although my herniation is a little smaller...7mm. I am going to have a consultation with a surgeon, but I will also opt for another injection if I can get one. I've gotten better....but not good enough. Driving is difficult for more than 30 minutes and I'm off work as driving is a requirment with my consulting work.

Take care. I'm certain everyone here will be anxious for your updates.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Boopie dear,
nothing is worse than pain and knowing you can't stay on a couch and ice yourself for relieve.
I have a question; are you on any Long Acting drugs, the once you take every 6 or 8 hours every day? I am not talking about BT medication, but LA. This is important for chronic pain to keep blood plasma at same levels to prevent ups and downs of pain.

I had my car accident in 2003, knew I need spinal surgery but went to have one only 3 years later when my limb nerves got involved. I was afraid to loose my wonderful job and was hoping things will get better.
I know exactly what you dealing with while at work. We had gym in our office and rest room. I would go every 30-40 minutes in that room and lay down on the floor to stretch gently. And just to have some rest to my painful spine. I would spend 5-7 minutes in that position until my meds work a little and than go back to work. I had ice in the fridge in our kitchen and also had an herbal sack which i would heat in microwave. I used ice and also heated herbal bag all day long.

I am not sure if you can do that at your work, but one thing you must do: dont sit for too long, you get up at least for couple minutes pretty often, I would say every 20 minutes take a little brake around your computer. Sitting for too long, brings you more pain, more inflammation to the area.

On a way home I was dreaming about hot bath I would take every night. This would help me a lot to help somewhat normal night.

Just my 2 cents...

Hope surgery will give you back good quality of life and pain will be just a bad dream.

Hugs, Moldova

Closed Thread