It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

Laurava2002 HB User
Cervical injuries after wreck with sever headaches

I have had MRI, xrays and Mylogram. Showed some issues on most of the cervical disc.
My worst problem is headaches and they are so sever that I can't stand it. There is never a point where I don't have some level of headaches, but by the end of the day, I feel like someone would be doing me a favor to chop my head off. My neurosurgeon is hesitant to do surgery on me until I have 3 more steroid shots. It's been nearly 6 months.
I have my report posted on my profile.
Does anyone else have issues like this and I am wondering what my chances are that I will ever go back to work as a mail carrier where we are required to lift 70 pounds of packages.
thanks for anything anyone can tell me.
Laura

Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Cervical injuries after wreck with sever headaches

hi so sorry you are having these headaches and problems. I've never been thru this but had a friend that did and remember she had headaches for a good while but they slowly went away but her injury was in the front of her head.

what I was thinking if you're not satisfied with the results of your current dr. why not get another opinion it wouldn't hurt anyway? I have several friends that have had back surgery and know that they did get a couple of opinions prior to their surgeries. Its always good to do that when dealing with the spine. I would also try to find a dr. thru a friend that has had great success or a neurosurgeon that is the head of the department or something like that.

Of course be sure to take all your tests with you if you decide to do so and please let us know how things are going.

Have the injections helped at all? What about physical therapy? sometimes PT can help manipulate a disc back into place. Surgery is always the last resort when it comes to the spine but when you are suffering so that is so hard to do.

as far as the lifting I don't think that will be an option. I have back issues (no surgery) and have been thru PT, injections and such but have to be careful on what I lift because I don't want to take a chance on a re-herniation. Its easy to do once its been injured. Even after surgery the levels above and below the injured disc can have problems because they receive more stress.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and provide additional input. Good luck, Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

Laurava2002 HB User

thanks Cathy for your reply.
This surgeon is the best of the best in this area, and, anyone who knows anyone, says to go to him. not only that, I am being treated under Federal worker's comp and there isn't many drs who are worth a dime who treat fed work comp because it's such a pain.
Anyways, I love my job, and it's hard to consider leaving it, but at this point, I can hardly bend over to do much at all.
thanks for the info.
I know I still have a long way to go and the first injection did not do anything to help.
so we will see about the other ones.
Laura

Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, I understand, I used to work for fed gov myself. glad you have a great dr. sometimes it does take more than one inj my dr does them in series of two, good luck, cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Laurava2002 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

Laurava2002 HB User

were you ever able to return to your job? that's a big concern for me. I really love delivering the mail, but it seems that it may be more than I am ever able to go back to.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

i actually took an early out in 06 thank goodness they offered it when they did I think I would have had to go out on disability, I didn't get hurt at work though. Cathy

Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
(female)

Laurava2002 HB User

Well, since I was on the the job, I am just not sure what they are going to do. I am scared that if I do go back, they are suddenly going to find a way to "let me go" even though I have been an example employee for 10 years. And I am also not sure what is going to happen about a "settlement" if I do go out on disability. Will I get a settlement from the post office since it was not my fault? the other guy did not have insurance on him, but it was not his car, but the owner of the car did have insurance on the car. I'm just worried money wise.

Closed Thread

Tags
cervical canal stenosis