It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Degenerative Disc Disease Cervical Spine

I first had an MRI scan back in 2007, following neck pain and was diagnosed with wear and tear, I wasn't given any treatment at all, and in 2010 was suffering considerably with pain in my neck and left shoulder, and after 10 months of visiting my GP monthly, was referred for another MRI scan, this scan revealed a partial tear in the tendon of my left shoulder and bulging discs in C5/C6 in my cervical spine. I had the tendon repaired around 10 months after the scan, and continued with no treatment to my neck, other than Tramadol for the pain. I was eventually seen by a Neurosurgeon for my neck in January 2012, and was offered a nerve root injection, which was carried out in March this year, and gave no benefit at all. I was seen again by the NeuroSurgeon and he agreed a fresh MRI scan should be done. I had this scan done in June, and an appointment to be seen with the results of this scan was sent in the post to me, for 28th May 2013 (basically a whole year after being seen in clinic, when I was told I would need a new scan as the one they were working with was 18 months out of date!!).
I am in the process of sorting out a sooner appointment, but have in the meantime obtained a copy of the scan report, and wondered if there is anyone out there that can help me understand it.

It reads as follows: [B]Degenerative Disc Disease is seen throughout the cervical spine, with straightening of the normal cervical lordosis. Broad based disc osteophyte complexes are indenting the theca and contacting the spinal cord between c3/4 and c6/7 levels. At c5/6 the complex is more prominent with flattening of the right side of the spinal chord. Bilateral nerve root foraminal narrowing is identified at c5/6 level with milder left sided narrowing also noted at c6/7.
Degenerative disc bulges are minimally indenting the spinal chord at T5/6 and T6/7.
No other significant abnormaility has been indentified.[/B]

I am having NO treatment at all, just pain relief in the form of Tramadol and Paracetomol. I suffer with pins and needles in both hands, this was originally more in my finger tips, but has started in the whole hand recently, I have constant discomfort in my neck, can no longer look up, and find it difficult to look to the right for longer than a few seconds, I also have periods of dropping things, sometimes I have swelling at the base of my skull, headaches in the back of the head, dizziness, shoulder pain in both shoulders, I sleep very poorly, as I constantly wake up when I move, due to pain/discomfort and regulary wake with pins and needles in both hands.

I do appreciate you taking the time to read my post, and hope someone maybe able to help me understand my scan more...

The following user gives a hug of support to teddybearhugs:
Rita27 (10-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Degenerative Disc Disease Cervical Spine

First of all you stated that you were treating with a GP for 10 months? Your GP should have referred you to an orthopedist or neursurgeon right up front. It is not for the GP to treat you for these symptoms in my opinion.

You really need to be seen more often. You said you were seen in January of 2012 and then an appt in 2013?

From the symptoms you describe you seem to have stenosis which means narrowing on the nerves. It is not uncommon to have degenerative changes especially after the age of 18. But with symptoms appearing there is reason for concern.

I suggest getting an appointment as soon as possible and not waiting till 2013. if you need to find a new doctor then do so NOW!!!.

I really don't like the sound of thing of the way you feel and the symptoms you are showing. Pin and Needles and dropping things. this would cause me concern and I wouldnt wait. Please do something...keep us posted.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Thank you for your reply to my post. I actually filed a complaint yesterday with the hospital, and low and behold have been offered an appointment for next Tuesday.... strange how after complaining I can be seen within 1 week... I am keeping the complaint open though until after I have had the appointment, as I don't want to be fobbed off anymore. I will keep you posted and let you know what happens. But thank you again for replying.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I'm glad you got an appointment and so quickly too. It's ashame that you have to resort to complaints, but sometimes you have no other choice.

I have had issues with doctors offices as well and have complained directly to the hospital and the CEO's office about my dissatisfaction. A lot of times I find the office staff part of the problem in that they don't know what they are doing and you get different answers every time you call thus delaying treatment.

Years ago I took care of my dad before he passed away and I remember being in the ER with him. I kept trying to tell the nurse that there was a problem with my dad but kept getting an answer just a few more minutes. Needless to say it wasnt a few minutes. All of sudden I see she, the nurse, is gone to find that her shift ended and she left and nothing was done. So I went to the desk in the ER and told the woman there you have 5 minutes to get a doctor into my dads room or if he doesnt come in then I suggest you get the hospital adminstrator down here immediately. The doctor didn't delay in going into my dads room. I followed up with a complaint to the CEO's office and then a call from his office.

So push comes to shove you have to complain at times.

I wish you luck on your appt. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
(female)

Rita27 HB User

I have horrible similar pain for 7 years. I have no meds. They make me vomit. I am so sorry. I know the paiun, I have DDD, back/neck/knees, leg pain. Feel hopeless, scared, can't take it anymore, I will pray for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rita27:
teddybearhugs (10-25-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

It would appear that teddiebearhugs lives in England, so she is dealing with a different health care system....but I am delighted that filing a complaint got an appointment much sooner.

Rita ~ Has anyone discussed the possibility of having a neurostimulator implanted to help with your pain?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Rita27, Thank you for your reply to my post, I am so sorry to hear of your pain too, and hope that something can be found to ease your suffering, have you tried accupuncture - it didn't work for me, but I do know of people that it has worked for. You are in my thoughts and I re***y do wish you well. Kind Regards xx

Closed Thread