It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

jenn328 HB User
can someone explain my MRI results please

Hi 12 years ago i had an emergancy opp as L4/L5 dics came out and embedded in my nervous system
i have recently had another scan and here are the results can someone explain them to me please and what can happen later on in life thanks x i am 39 years old

MRI SCAN SPINE LUMBER
sagittal images from T9 to the sacrum and axial images T11/T12 and from L3 to S1 have been provided
normal alignment of the spine
at T9/T10 a focal central disc protrusion is impinging upon the anterior subarachnoid space
no cord compression is noted
at T11/T12 the disc is dehydrated and a focal central disc protrusion is indenting the anteri or subarachnoid space
at L4/L5 the disc is dehydrated and a focal central disc protrusion is encroaching upon the anterior thecal sac and is touching both traversing L5nerve roots
at L5/S1 there are severe degenerative changes with irregular endplates,marginal osteophytes
modic ii endplate-related signal alterations, severe loss of disc height and facet joint hypertrophy
evidance of a left sided hemilamanectomy defect at L5/S1 with a small fibrotic scar left lateral of the thecal sac
a very small left central disc protrusion is touching the traversing left S1 nerve root but no definite nerve root encroachment is observed
a osteophyte is slightly narrowing the left sided
L5/S1 neural foramen without nerve root involvment
the remaining discs and vertebrae are of normal appearance without significant degenerative changes
no spinal canel or further foraminal stenosis
there are benign perineural root sleeve cysts (tarlov cysts) at S2/S3 a common incidential finding
the unremarkable conus medullaris is situated at T12/L1
CONCLUSION

significant degenerative and postsurgical changes at L5/S1 with a very small disc protrusion and a left sided fibrotic epidural scar
no nerve root encroachment particularly on the left
disc protrusion L4/L5 touching both L5 nerve roots

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: can someone explain my MRI results please

Welcome to the board. I'm not quite sure what your previous surgery was, so take that into consideration as you read my comments!

First, it looks like you have reason to have lots of pain as several nerves are being impacted. Your other surgery must have been a discectomy as you still have discs at both the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels.

[B]at L4/L5 the disc is dehydrated and a focal central disc protrusion is encroaching upon the anterior thecal sac and is touching both traversing L5nerve roots[/B]

When discs dry out, they tend to flatten. This disc is protruding beyond the disc space and is pushing into the thecal sac, which is the tough fibers that surround the central canal. This protrusion is also touching both of the L5 nerve roots. Both of these things can cause the type of nerve pain that radiates down the buttocks, legs and into the feet.

[B]at L5/S1 there are severe degenerative changes with irregular endplates,marginal osteophytes, modic ii endplate-related signal alterations, severe loss of disc height and facet joint hypertrophy; evidance of a left sided hemilamanectomy defect at L5/S1 with a small fibrotic scar left lateral of the thecal sac [/B]

At the L5-S1 level there are severe degenerative changes. These are showing as bony overgrowths and "bumpy" margins on the edges of the endplates.

End plates are the top bottom portions of the vertebral bodies that interface with the vertebral discs, and provide nourishment for the discs. When the disc herniates, it can cause end-plate abornalities and make it difficult to function properly. This can result in the disc not receiving enough nuitrition, and the disc dries out.

The report indicates there was a discectomy on the left side and there is now a small amount of scar tissue.

It would appear that the issue that is causing you problems is primarily at the L4-L5 disc where it is impacting the L5 nerve root. The surgeon will want to do what he can to lessen the impact on the L5 nerve root, first trying conservative treatments.

It is pretty standard treatment to not leave a nerve compressed for too long as there is a risk of permanent nerve damage.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
jenn328 (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

jenn328 HB User

Thanks for your quick reply the op I had 12 years ago was to remove my two discs wich came out and embeded deep down in my nervous system it took 3 hours to remove them all the surgeon said at the time I was only 1 of 2 in the uk that its ever happened to since then I have allways had nerve pain and had amatriptaline for it (sorry if I spelt that wrong) I had a fall a few months ago at a supermarket wich was there fault and the doc finally sent me for a scan as he asked me how long have I had my walking stick for ofcourse I have had it for 12 years and thought did he really have to ask bear in mind I had changed docs in the past year and he is the only one that has done anything about my back , when I got the results of my scan I was shocked and so was he about the lenth of the problems I have, I didn't understand what he was saying and I do have an appointment to see a nuro surgeon its just I want to know what my outcome Will be what I do remember him saying is I have arthritis in my back i have put on a lot of weight in 12 years im 17 stone now as i can not exercise and this wont help my back ither

Last edited by jenn328; 11-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

All I can figure out is that the first surgery removed part of the disc, the part that ruptured, because it certainly appears that you still have discs at L4-L5 and at L5-S1 and they are causing you problems.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
jenn328 (11-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
jenn328 (11-03-2012)
Closed Thread