It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
(male)

Guerrilla HB UserGuerrilla HB User
Unhappy ugh hurting almost 3 weeks post op ALIF

My lower back and right leg are killing me!! So far I have taken Lortab10 and Valuim 20mg plus 10mg Ambien (all in my PM plan, no abuse).. but I am hurting!!! Just looking for some one to talk to that might be having this type of pain at this time or was experiencing it when they were 3 weeks post..

Prior to surgery I had L5-S1 compression; they decomplressed caged with the calcium stuff 4 screws and a plate... I mean I am at the point wherer I am medicated out, I cannot take much more and I am not even tired because I am just uncomfortable...

Anyone know where I can buy one of those rejuvenation tanks they used in the old Mutant League Animated Series haha

No seriously did I like break a screw or something, give me some feedback people

Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: ugh hurting almost 3 weeks post op ALIF

It is highly unlikely you broke a screw....even though you read about it on boards like this, it is really quite uncommon to break a screw. Did you fall or why would you ask?

I'm not sure if you were expecting to be pain-free after surgery, but that rarely happens either. Surgery is usually done to correct a mechanical problem and for some pain relief, but rarely does it resolve pain entirely.

That said, you are still very early in recovery and I am sure you will continue to get better and better. It is just a long, slow process....think in terms of months rather than days or weeks....

You might want to use ice for the pain. It works surprisingly well if you do it frequently.

Last edited by teteri66; 11-10-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
(male)

[QUOTE=teteri66;5086947]It is highly unlikely you broke a screw....even though you read about it on boards like this, it is really quite uncommon to break a screw. Did you fall or why would you ask?

I'm not sure if you were expecting to be pain-free after surgery, but that rarely happens either. Surgery is usually done to correct a mechanical problem and for some pain relief, but rarely does it resolve pain entirely.

That said, you are still very early in recovery and I am sure you will continue to get better and better. It is just a long, slow process....think in terms of months rather than days or weeks....

You might want to use ice for the pain. It works surprisingly well if you do it frequently.[/QUOTE]

No fall doll... I am up and down.. feel great feel horrible.. right now I am dying.. I know I am trying to get into the mind set of months I'm at weeks need to get to months..... I love these boards because I can get answers. I just feel like total crap and you would think I would get relief, I mean that's why I am on the drugs ya know hun... I just.. IDK maybe feel better through the night or in the morning....

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
(female)

georgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB User

Hi, I have one thing to say on this subject, SAD. I went thru a 3 level fusion anterior posterior alittle over 3 yrs. And I am a mess. My pain started getting real bad around 3 wks after the surgery. I am living on morphine, amitriptaline, tanzidene, trazadone, and a high level of gabapentin, my pain management dr. wants me to have the hardware taken out, he seems to think it would relieve a lota paain, I say no and now maybe a spine simulator, and I now have PAD, so I may have to get a stint put in for my L leg and maybe the other. I feel bad for you, but please keep your chin up, you may be one of the very few that end up pain free. Keep us posted, and good luck.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
(male)

[QUOTE=georgie782;5086953]Hi, I have one thing to say on this subject, SAD. I went thru a 3 level fusion anterior posterior alittle over 3 yrs. And I am a mess. My pain started getting real bad around 3 wks after the surgery. I am living on morphine, amitriptaline, tanzidene, trazadone, and a high level of gabapentin, my pain management dr. wants me to have the hardware taken out, he seems to think it would relieve a lota paain, I say no and now maybe a spine simulator, and I now have PAD, so I may have to get a stint put in for my L leg and maybe the other. I feel bad for you, but please keep your chin up, you may be one of the very few that end up pain free. Keep us posted, and good luck.[/QUOTE]

ah Dear sorry you have to go through what you are going through... I am actually on my 2nd day off morphine today.. I requested something less and now and regretting it... The nurse said the doc will put you on Lortab10 then probably take you down slowly at each refill.. I am just in so much discomfort tonight but then when I hear from people like you I feel like I need to just SUCK IT UP!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
(female)

georgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB User

Hi again. I feel so bad for you. Why are they taking you off of your pills.? I went thru workmans cop. and they cut you off real fast, I dont remember alot for the 1rst wk that I came home,And I selpt in a hospital bed for 1 mnth. crazy. I really hope thinks go well for you and if you get takin off all your meds and have the money go to a apain management doc' They cost alot of money for the 1rst visit and then after that they are about the same as seeing your primary doc. I am on ssd and will never get to go to work again and I feel so bad for that part of my life, I worked at alot of alezhimer facilitys, it was so great and I miss all of them . When I talk about it , it makes me cry.Well off I go for now, gotta get ready for sleep. Hope you have a good nite sleep and i truly know sometimes that just is hard to do. Nite Nite

Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
(male)

screw it take bad with good i guess.... i'm just like UGH!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
(female)

I still wish you the best,

The Following User Says Thank You to georgie782 For This Useful Post:
Guerrilla (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
(female)

ag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB User
Question Re: ugh hurting almost 3 weeks post op ALIF

[QUOTE=Guerrilla;5086999]screw it take bad with good i guess.... i'm just like UGH!!![/QUOTE]

Hi G,
I am home from surgery 5 days ago and i am right with ya! Sometime bad, sometimes horrendous, and others times not as bad. I realized yesterday i was running out of pain meds. Have plenty of muscle relaxers but running really low on pain meds. What were they thinking? sending me home without enough to get through a holiday weekend. So i am attempting to cut back on pain meds but gotta have muscle relaxers. Do you meds help or not?
My siatic pain is 100xs stronger than Pre surgery. I walk constantly, sitting is worst. Leg knee ankle. I supposed it is to be expected muscles and nerves were moved and are traumatized. Night time is worst when i am sleeping and the muscle relaxer runs out. We gotta go through this thinking in 6 mos or more we will be glad we did it....right?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
(male)

[QUOTE=agwhitten;5087237]Hi G,
I am home from surgery 5 days ago and i am right with ya! Sometime bad, sometimes horrendous, and others times not as bad. I realized yesterday i was running out of pain meds. Have plenty of muscle relaxers but running really low on pain meds. What were they thinking? sending me home without enough to get through a holiday weekend. So i am attempting to cut back on pain meds but gotta have muscle relaxers. Do you meds help or not?
My siatic pain is 100xs stronger than Pre surgery. I walk constantly, sitting is worst. Leg knee ankle. I supposed it is to be expected muscles and nerves were moved and are traumatized. Night time is worst when i am sleeping and the muscle relaxer runs out. We gotta go through this thinking in 6 mos or more we will be glad we did it....right?[/QUOTE]

6 months is right my dear.... but OMG 6 months ugh..... I just took my afternoon meds and I'll feel fine for 2 hours in about 30 minutes but I have to wait -6 before I can even take more.

You're right we have to do this together.. some good some bad.. and I agree my nerve damage seems to have multiplied since surgery... I just hate not having meds that work. A med that works for me is one that I can take every 6 hrs and not need for 6 hrs.

We'll make it eventually but the next 4-8 months will be HELL!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Guerrilla:
ag993 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
(female)

ag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB User
Thumbs up Re: ugh hurting almost 3 weeks post op ALIF

[QUOTE=Guerrilla;5087238]6 months is right my dear.... but OMG 6 months ugh..... I just took my afternoon meds and I'll feel fine for 2 hours in about 30 minutes but I have to wait -6 before I can even take more.

You're right we have to do this together.. some good some bad.. and I agree my nerve damage seems to have multiplied since surgery... I just hate not having meds that work. A med that works for me is one that I can take every 6 hrs and not need for 6 hrs.

We'll make it eventually but the next 4-8 months will be HELL!![/QUOTE]

I agree totally, i would like to sleep longer than 4 hrs and. Not wake up shaking and in pain from muscle spasms all throughout my hips and back. I will ask about longer lasting meds when i call Dr on Monday or Tuesday. Be well
A

Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
(male)

I'm just gonna be tough at my next visit (the 19th) I need better spasm drugs and my pain meds cannot be lowered yet.. I also plan on saying look at my background from my demographic forms I filled out with you. I was a youth social worker for 2 years and have a BS in psych.. I know lots of really good friends that work with substance abuse or know others that do. If I start to build an addiction I will deal with it with them, they will be happy to help... As for now please just help me not cry (I do sometimes) due to the pain... That will 1 have him tell me to **** off or 2 tell him sounds great lets build a management plan with addiction not in mind!

Just took my meds and fell good lets see how long it last

Closed Thread

Tags
alif, alif recovery, alif surgery, pain managment