It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
(male)

Guerrilla HB UserGuerrilla HB User
Unhappy Post ALIF walking and right leg GAVE OUT!

So I love this board because you guys give me more info and support than my darn doctor... My wife is a nurse but she is a telemetry nurse so even she is like Idk....

Okay so I was dying today, nerve pain leg cannot stay still so much pain have to move it around , have to keep pushing on it and all those other things you do for nerve pain ugh.. If you know what I mean keep reading if not, you're lucky and hope you never have the nerve pain..

So I was walking and walking and almost in tears trying to walk the pain out and (luckily) while I was walking through my bedroom my right leg just gave out completely. When I say it gave out I mean it couldn't hold no weight. So I fell to my left so that I could catch my bed and then went to the floor and just laid there for about 45 minutes. I had my wife help me take my brace off then just told her to please leave me alone.. she goes you want to go to the ER I said HELL NO!! you want me to call an ambulance HELL NO!!

My history is pain in the right leg and lower back so i got the L5-S1 fusion 2 weeks ago Oct. 24.

Now as I laid there my leg was still in pain and I could feel it and move it, I wasn't experiencing paralysis or anything.

Don't wanna call the exchange just gonna ride the night out in pain took another Valium and 10mg of Ambien, we'll see what happens...

Anyone had this happen before? Or know anything about why this would have happened...

I just count my blessings I was inside and by my bed and able o shift my weight the opposite direction so I could grab my bed post!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Post ALIF walking and right leg GAVE OUT!

You don't mention icing for the pain. When I had my first fusion, I developed horrendous pain in the topside of my thigh. The ONLY thing that helped was ice. I was still in the hospital and the nurse gave me a large bag of ice that wrapped around my leg. I was still on the IV pain meds, and even though they increased whatever it was, it did nothing for this pain. But the ice helped.

You should ice 15-20 minutes per hour and try doing it every hour as long as you are up. You can use a gel pack or ice...just protect your skin so it doesn't get damaged or burned.

The spinal nerves control both movement and sensation, so it isn't a surprise that you might have some weakness...it is probably just a part of healing, but I think I would still call your surgeon in the morning and report how much pain you have been experiencing the last several days.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
(male)

tried the ice,tried the heat still no relief obviously meds not working at this point

Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Meds don't work on nerve pain. Are you taking gabapentin or Lyrica?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
(male)

no should i

Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would think the surgeon would prescribe it for you. There are only a couple drugs that deal effectively with nerve pain, Neurontin and Lyrica being the top two. Yes, I would ask about one of them, if your surgeon doesn't mention it.

Are you any "better" this morning?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=Guerrilla;5087590]no should i[/QUOTE]

Guerilla, Oh so sorry!! Hope your ok fusion wise! Yes, take lyrica or neutontin. Do you think that you could possibly need the morphine back? It works on nerve pain for me! When you call dr tell them this pain & weakness made you fall!! They need to see you, check if you are injured, check into why this happened & get a stronger pain med & lyrica type medicine, imho! Later, i will tell you about my nerve troubles in leg, but this is about YOU! Praying for you now. Post if you can. Now this is awful but it is not permanent.It always goes away for me, eventually. Please, i hope it gets better soon.

Last edited by gmak; 11-12-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
(male)

No better today, worse actuallly, both legs now

Called the doc, told the nurse I fell due to weakness, also told her I was having the pain in my legs not relieved by the meds... I still feel like $hit...

I told the nurse look i was crying last night I was crying this morning, yes the valuim and the lortabs are nice for the pain in the leg that I can tell is muscle pain but it feels like way down in the middle there is a little tube that says f-you to the meds....

I also told her the pain today is worse than it was before I got the surgery....

Ugh so frustrating, especially because I think stop being a "Sally" there are people out there that are a lot worse off than you are!!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is the surgeon going to call you back or how was it left?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
(male)

[QUOTE=teteri66;5087657]Is the surgeon going to call you back or how was it left?[/QUOTE]

Usually the nurse calls me back after they tell him what I told them... i read somewhere that a lady had a neuro that had an email system you email the nurse they email you back. i would love that!!!

I didn't even want to cal today my wife who is a telemetry nurse said you have to you have had changes in condition, I just always feel like a bother..

The following user gives a hug of support to Guerrilla:
gmak (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=Guerrilla;5087677]Usually the nurse calls me back after they tell him what I told them... i read somewhere that a lady had a neuro that had an email system you email the nurse they email you back. i would love that!!!

I didn't even want to cal today my wife who is a telemetry nurse said you have to you have had changes in condition, I just always feel like a bother..[/QUOTE]

Hey guerilla, do not want to go into my history, too long. But, PLEASE take it from me: Get an emergency appt today with dr, not some go between nurse. You HAVE to be there anyway to change pain medicine to something stronger & the dr cannot check you if you ARE NOT THERE. Please. I know you dont want to be trouble, but when you just suck it up You get the TROUBLE you saved them in the form of pain. Please for your well being as a post op patient DO this for yourself! Just this once! No one is going to think less of you & what is your blood pressure anyway? Deep in your heart of hearts, despite the manners & all the suffering people of the world, WHAT is your heart telling you to do? Follow it! Do what is right for you! When you signed on the dotted line for surgery, did you think okay that nurse(if she really is one?) can take care of me? No! The dr! Please be
brave and insist or just show up after lunch break. But today before they
close office! Its my opinion, but ive had to go in a wheelchair before when i was 32. Somethings wrong? Only dr can tell you what it is! Thanks & listen, please!

Last edited by gmak; 11-12-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typos wording

Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
(male)

Got a call from the nurse after I called her.. She said the Dr. wants to see you can you be here in an hour? I said sure.. I got there he examined me and listened to what was all going on. He then sent me next door to get an emergency x-ray and then had me come back. He pulled the x-ray up and showed my wife and I that everything looked great. After all of that he called us back into the room and started listing the next steps..

Step 1-Continue pain meds PRN
Step 2 -Start a muscle relaxer (cannot remember name, was on it prior to surgery though, not flexoral, this one you can actually move with)
Step 3- Start to take Valuim only at bed time only when needed for spasms and will then discontinue when out
Step 4- Ordered two injections in lower back location cannot recall the injections and do not feel like digging through the papers now. One is to relieve pain in the nerves and one is to relieve pain in the area of the screws, get this done in 1 1/2 weeks.
Step 6- Talked about the psychological impact of the procedure and decided to do a month of anti depressants went with Escitalopram 20 mg
Step 7- Start physical therapy in 2 weeks
Step 8- Follow up with him in 3 weeks...

I also learned I can get rid of the back brace in 2 more weeks wahoo!! that's 5 weeks with it and I will be happy to be done with it!!

I felt really good after this visit, especially when I said I'm sorry to be a bother and he said I just spent an hour with you and your wife, you are not a bother you are a patient, I want you to get better you are just having a rocky start to what will be a smooth ending..

SO now we see if tomorrow brings on a new time for me...

Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's wonderful that your surgeon was able to see you today and that he spent so much time with you. Sounds like he was very proactive. Now we'll hope that all his plans will make you more comfortable.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Guerrilla (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
(female)

ag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB User
Wink Re: Post ALIF walking and right leg GAVE OUT!

[QUOTE=Guerrilla;5087957]Got a call from the nurse after I called her.. She said the Dr. wants to see you can you be here in an hour? I said sure.. I got there he examined me and listened to what was all going on. He then sent me next door to get an emergency x-ray and then had me come back. He pulled the x-ray up and showed my wife and I that everything looked great. After all of that he called us back into the room and started listing the next steps..

Step 1-Continue pain meds PRN
Step 2 -Start a muscle relaxer (cannot remember name, was on it prior to surgery though, not flexoral, this one you can actually move with)
Step 3- Start to take Valuim only at bed time only when needed for spasms and will then discontinue when out
Step 4- Ordered two injections in lower back location cannot recall the injections and do not feel like digging through the papers now. One is to relieve pain in the nerves and one is to relieve pain in the area of the screws, get this done in 1 1/2 weeks.
Step 6- Talked about the psychological impact of the procedure and decided to do a month of anti depressants went with Escitalopram 20 mg
Step 7- Start physical therapy in 2 weeks
Step 8- Follow up with him in 3 weeks...

I also learned I can get rid of the back brace in 2 more weeks wahoo!! that's 5 weeks with it and I will be happy to be done with it!!

I felt really good after this visit, especially when I said I'm sorry to be a bother and he said I just spent an hour with you and your wife, you are not a bother you are a patient, I want you to get better you are just having a rocky start to what will be a smooth ending..

SO now we see if tomorrow brings on a new time for me...[/QUOTE]

Dr G I have just gotten on here to read all you have been through recently, I feel for you as i completely understand your pain ups and downs and the emotions that are accompanying them. I am so glad you decided to see your Dr and He acted the way we expect them to when we are in such distress! Feel better soon Rest and do not over do it, take it slow.
Keep us posted, i am running out of charge so I have to sign out
A

Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

[QUOTE=teteri66;5087977]That's wonderful that your surgeon was able to see you today and that he spent so much time with you. Sounds like he was very proactive. Now we'll hope that all his plans will make you more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Guerilla, so happy for the good news. I hope you wake tomorrow and it is gone or bearable. Glad that you went in as well. Now, dont have to speculate when you get those abherrent pokes & *****s while healing. Speedy recovery on the new plan. Best to you, guerilla

Last edited by gmak; 11-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Closed Thread