It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

SALioness HB User
Talking Cervical Disc Replacement at 2 levels

Here is my story to encourage those of you who are considering cervical disc replacement.

Briefly, I had my disc replacement surgery at 2 levels done 15 day ago today. (1 November 2012) and so far the results are wonderful and better than expected so far, especially only after my 2 week.

I do still take pain killers for the op, but I got the movement and strength back in my arms immediately, felt my thumb and fingers which were numb, straight when I woke up from the anaesthetic.

Only thing, was that my right should was in incredible spasm and I had pain in my left arm, which I did not have before the op. But this is now settling nicely.

I can move my head completely to the left and to the right, tonight I am in front of my computer, I do still wear my collar, but I have started leaving it off for longer periods at a time. I have tried driving my car a short distance (last weekend).

I was fine with that. I now feel so well, even with the pain that I have, that I have to watch myself that I do not overdo things. In fact, that is the reason why I do not want to take pain killers, is because I am scared I will feel TOO good.

Anyway, the worst so far, has been the swallowing. I battle to swallow the pills, every now and again, they get stuck in my throat. But last night, I choked on one, that did not want to come up, eventually my friendly, who was luckily there, turned me over, slapped me on my back a few times, cos I was gasping for breath too.

Eventually, pill came out Ė but during this time, neither of us even thought about the surgery I had only 2 weeks ago, I just didnít want to die choking. (needless to say, I now cut the capsules open and mix the powder with liquid and drink them that way.)

Anyway, I was worried that maybe, with the bashing on my back, which was not so gentle, I might have undone or jolted my disc replacements, or that the discs would have moved, but I went to physio today and I am fine. He assured me that if I undid anything, I would have felt it straight away.
But like I say, I feel good tonight.

Saw a question on the forum and thought I would share my story so far, especially that it is only day 15 after my op. The only thing the doc said to me are that my bones are very soft and he wants to monitor that.

I go for a 6 week checkup and followup xray and a bone density on the 11 Dec 2012. Dr said that we will monitor my L3/4 and L4/S area, so that I can also have a disc replacement at these levels when the time comes (in a few years still - but already have spinal stenosis in this area)

Will keep you posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to SALioness For This Useful Post:
SweetPeainSF (11-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply