It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

bitzylou HB User
L4 L5 spinal fusion

I met with my doctor this week. I have tried everything for my lower back pain (epidurals, nerve blocks, physical therapy). I had discectomy last year. I have had this pain for four years. The doctor said we are at a crossroads and what did I want to do. He said I could continue with injections and therapy or consider fusion. I said to go ahead with the fusion. I trust him completely. He is an ortho spine doctor. He sent me for standing xrays, EMG, and CT. I can't understand why he needs these tests if I have already agreed to the fusion. Does this information from the tests help him to decide the surgical approach. He suggested TLIF. If anyone knows why he needs these tests let me know. I am suppose to meet with him Dec. 3 to discuss the plan of action. Are there any questions that I should ask? Thanks alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: L4 L5 spinal fusion

I would imagine he needs more up to date imaging and information than he has currently so he can be assured he is operating on the right level and that you don't have some other nerve involvement, perhaps at L5-S1.

If he does a TLIF he will have a very small area that he can actually visualize, so he will be relying on the tests to assure him that L4-L5 is the only diseased area.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
bitzylou (11-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
(male)

NomoreDisc HB User

How long should it take to get approval from insurance?

I hope and pray that this all works out? My Company has already been informed that I'll be off work for min. of 3 months. I had to use up all of my vacation before the surgery. Started the nose onitment and back scrub today (5 days every day before surgery) to help with infection.
I talked with my Doctors office yesterday about the insurance approval. She said she has been talking with them, and should have an answer by weeks end. And they are open today (Thanksgiving) and tomarrow.
It sure would be nice to hear by the weekend. This is so stressful. It should not be this way before a Big surgery like this.
Just as an review of what I'm having done. TLIF of my L4-L5 decompressiton with screws & rods.
I'll be praying for everyone with your upcoming surgerys.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

bitzylou HB User

Thank you for your reply. I am on medicare so who knows how long approval will take. I am like you..I just want to get it overwith and hopefully have a less painful and stressful life. Please let know about your surgery and progress. I am sure that you will have yours before I have mine. I don't see me Dr. until Dec. 3.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Wow, NoMoreDisc, your surgeon is very cautious. That's good -- not that many use nose ointment...I'm not even sure what you are talking about, but I'm guessing it is to prevent MRSA.

You should get approval within a couple days from the insurance carrier.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
(male)

NomoreDisc HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5093161]Wow, NoMoreDisc, your surgeon is very cautious. That's good -- not that many use nose ointment...I'm not even sure what you are talking about, but I'm guessing it is to prevent MRSA.

You should get approval within a couple days from the insurance carrier.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is for MRSA. The hospital I'm going to has a spine fusion class once a week. They go over most everthing you might encounter before durning and after your surgery.
I'm PRAYING that today is the day I hear from the insurance. Tuesday can't get here soon enough.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
(male)

NomoreDisc HB User

My recovery from TLIF L-4 L-5. I had the surgery on 11/27/12 7:30am. They got me up for my first walk around 3:00 pm. No walker or cane needed. All is going well. Started oral meds on second day. Walking is going good. So well infact that I went home on 11/29. In hospital I was takeing 2 percocet every four hrs. Did that at home for the first day and night. I cut back to oneevery six hrs. Then one in the morning and one at night. Totally off pain meds at day 10 post op.

My goal for walking was to do two miles a day @ week two. I was able to do 1.5 first day home. A few days over 2 miles and a couple days over 3 miles. I think the walking has gone so well because I was able to do alot of walking leading up to my surgery.

And the pain meds? I think they work so well and was able to get off of them so soon, was because I was not taking any before. Any pain meds that did me any good, were to strong for me to drive and work.

I hope this shows that some of us do have great results from Lumbar Fusion.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
(male)

NomoreDisc HB User

My recovery from TLIF L-4 L-5. I had the surgery on 11/27/12 7:30am. They got me up for my first walk around 3:00 pm. No walker or cane needed. All is going well. Started oral meds on second day. Walking is going good. So well infact that I went home on 11/29. In hospital I was takeing 2 percocet every four hrs. Did that at home for the first day and night. I cut back to oneevery six hrs. Then one in the morning and one at night. Totally off pain meds at day 10 post op.

My goal for walking was to do two miles a day @ week two. I was able to do 1.5 first day home. A few days over 2 miles and a couple days over 3 miles. I think the walking has gone so well because I was able to do alot of walking leading up to my surgery.

And the pain meds? I think they work so well and was able to get off of them so soon, was because I was not taking any before. Any pain meds that did me any good, were to strong for me to drive and work.

I hope this shows that some of us do have great results from Lumbar Fusion.

Closed Thread