It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
(male)

backupplan HB User
New poster

I'm a new poster who is recovering from an L4-5 laminectomy and follow-up surgery to remove a hematoma that developed after the procedure. I'm now 7 days post-op of the second surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: New poster

Welcome to the board.

How are you getting along? Bad luck to have to have additional surgery, but at least it was discovered now. Sometimes they wait to see if the hematoma will go away...guess it may depend on where it is and if it is affecting something.

I am assuming your surgery was open? (not minimally invasive).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
(male)

backupplan HB User

Thanks for your welcoming message. Having a second surgery only 3 days after the first one delayed my recovery a bit but I'm feeling better and getting stronger every day. The hematoma was pressing on the nerves at L4-5 bilaterally, causing excruciating sciatica pain in both hips, legs and buttocks. I had to be taken back to the hospital by ambulance last Sunday and they performed the surgery several hours later. The incision from the first surgeryh was about 2 inches long vertically but my spine surgeon extended the incision to about 4 inches in order to remove the hematoma, which was both solid and liquid and covered both sides of the L4-5 disc (the laminectomy was done only to the right L4-5). Definitely an open surgery. I'm off to walk now...I'm up to a city block twice a day! Thanks again.

[QUOTE=teteri66;5091523]Welcome to the board.

How are you getting along? Bad luck to have to have additional surgery, but at least it was discovered now. Sometimes they wait to see if the hematoma will go away...guess it may depend on where it is and if it is affecting something.

I am assuming your surgery was open? (not minimally invasive).[/QUOTE]

Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Since you are new to the board, I'll give you my standard little"speech." Most people are told they should walk, but they don't know why or don't bother to think about it. I think knowing the reason makes it easier to hit the pavement on those days when you don't feel like it.

One of the unpleasant side effects of surgery is the development of scar tissue.
Walking is the best way to stretch out the spinal nerves. Walking helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to the nerves as it is forming and filling in. It is important to walk short distances frequently. One long walk will only stretch the nerves once per day and runs the risk of tiring one out and perhaps irritating the sciatic nerve. So make sure you take a short walk every couple hours, even if it is just up and down your hall or across the living room and back several times.

Be sure to limit the time you spend sitting to 15-20 minutes. Sitting puts 30% more stress on the discs that lying down or standing. Even once you are healed up you should try to get up and move around after sitting for an hour. Your discs will thank you for the chance to breathe a bit.

Also be sure to drink lots of water. Don't let yourself get constipated...(The pain meds can be very constipating) Use a stool softener; eat lots of high fiber foods and vegetables and fruits....and be sure to rest. Resting is very important to your recovery.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

georgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB User

Welcome to the people talk. I hope you get well soon, and i hope you know how to work this stuff, I guess you can say I am real new to this. Anyhow welcome and hope to be able to visit you on here, it really amazes me how many people are on here. And teteri66 and gmak and gwen are great at helping you out. As ever Georgie782

Last edited by moderator2; 11-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Closed Thread