It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

Sargargoyl HB User
Question Is there really "no cause" back spasms/pain?

About a month ago I was driving to work and felt what I thought was severe kidney pain. I was in excruciating pain that caused sweats and shakes. I thought I was either going to return my lunch or pass out. My boss called an ambulance. To shorten the dialog, the hospital did blood and urine test and a CAT scan. They found nothing. They told me "back spasms" and "come back if it gets worse". The same pain is back, thankfully not as vicious. I have no idea what to make of this. Pain killers dull the pain, and muscle relaxers do nothing to help. Any thoughts? I have had kidney stones, but the CAT scan and tests have said not there. Doctor scoffed and told me stones don't do both kidneys at once. Thanks for reading and ANY insight and ALL thoughts are appreciated. Thank you again.

Kitty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
(female)

FrankieSet HB User
Re: Is there really "no cause" back spasms/pain?

Hey Kitty,
I would suffer from back spasms occasionally and whilst I would get a sympathetic nod from friends, I sensed they just didnt understand how discomforting they were. These spasms can just happen of their own accord but largely, there will be underlying issues causing them. If you're not over exerting them, then more likely you are wearing unsupportive shoes or sleeping on cheap mattresses. If you're doing both, then 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, there is subtle pressures being exerted on your back without you realising, which then manifests itself in the occasional spasm. Changing up is well worth it. I was always wearing converse and other tennis shoes with their flat soles and they offered no arch support. Having switched footwear, I've noticed a definite improvement in my back condition. Hope this helps x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

Sargargoyl HB User

I am doing both right now. Thanks for the advice, I guess I am going to have to upgrade everything. Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Sara:

Welcome to the board and thank you for the post. You may find my story somewhat interesting.

My story began back in August of 1988. I was at a concert and dont remember much of the evening, except that I spent a lot of the evening in the men's room. I can't remember all the symptoms, but there was radiating pain to the left side; diarrhea; I think I may have been nauseas too. But its been so many years I dont remember all the symptoms.

But anyway I called my primary doctor the next day and he thought I had kidney stones. So I went thru a test called IVP which was to see if there were kidney stones. Well there were NO kidney stones. In fact what they found amazed me. I was getting the pain on the left side. The found that I was born without a left kidney. Thats right the test showed no kidney. No one ever knew or suspected it. No reason to think that I had one kidney at that point in time. Just a note years later my sister was determined to have been born with one kidney too and was found out accidentally.

Anyway, Here I was getting sick and don't know why. They thought maybe there was a tumor that was pressing on a nerve causing the pain. That came back negative.

Finally I had an MRI done and it showed that I have bulging discs thus causing all the symptoms I had at the time.

The problems progressed to the point that I had to be in the hospital 2 weeks in traction then physical therapy.

I was then fine for several years. Those bulges turned into herniations and finally my first surgery.

I have had several spine surgeries over the years to the cervical and lumbar regions. I have Harrington Rods in my neck/thoracic region and my lumbar region as well. I had a spinal cord stimulator to control the pain but it didnt work for me.

I am now scheduled next month for a Morphine pump to be implanted. Will see if that works.

My other medical history now living with 1 kidney I have kidney disease. I am also diabetci and almost died from it 9 years ago. In the interim almost 6 years ago I faced pancreatic cancer and went thru surgery for it. January 2013 I will be a 6 year survivor of the pancreatic surgery.

So my story still continues to unfold.

So when I read your story about the kidney and the pain I felt I had to tell you my story.

Have they done an MRI? Maybe its worth consideration? maybe you should also think about seeing an orthopedist or neurosurgeon. Just a thought.

Good lukc and let us know what happens.

Closed Thread

Tags
back pain, kidney pain, spasms