It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
(male)

John1959A HB User
Question Worried about my life being over for the most part

Hello,
I am a 53 year old male and I have a twelve year old son. We live alone together. I have had a serious back problem for over 5 years now. I have finally got disability so I can take care of my son, but before all this started I was a very active person. I worked usually 6 days a week installing security systems and made great money. I worked in electronics for all my life starting in Cable TV and moving to ADT in the early part of the 90's.
That's not the big reason I wanted to write this though for sympathy. I really think that after reading all about what I have been diagnosed with, that I should have gotten better or something by now, and it is just the opposite, My pain is increasing monthly and I feel really weak. I want to get better so I can have a life again and I just don't know how to start trying. If anyone out there has had these symptoms and knows anything about it please let me know.

(1) constant pain in my lower back mainly on the right side. This pain increases if I do any kind of moving around.

(2) that pain radiates around and down my back left leg in a circular motion to the front and kind of stops around the knee.

(3) When my lower back pain gets bad it moves up my spine to my shoulder blades and I get a very strong burning sensation there across my whole back.

(4) At night my feet burn terribly in the arch and sometimes I get a stinging sensation as well. Or my arms go to sleep so badly that I can not even feel them at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Worried about my life being over for the most part

When you say you've had a "serious back problem", what exactly are you talking about? Also, there is a board on here specifically for back issues. You may get better responses in that board. Are you in a pain management program?

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
John1959A (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you ever had a MRI of your cervical spine? Your symptoms sound like you may have a problem in that area.

As a general rule, when someone has a problem in the lower back, pain and symptoms do not move up the spine. Pain would not be felt above about the waist level.

But a herniated disc in the neck can impact the spinal cord and cause symptoms anywhere from the head on down.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
John1959A (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5094358]Have you ever had a MRI of your cervical spine? Your symptoms sound like you may have a problem in that area.

As a general rule, when someone has a problem in the lower back, pain and symptoms do not move up the spine. Pain would not be felt above about the waist level.

But a herniated disc in the neck can impact the spinal cord and cause symptoms anywhere from the head on down.[/QUOTE]

Hi john, i noticed thay you were worried about the back trouble & raising your son. I had terrible back trouble since before my sons were born. This is just my experience & opinion about raising sons with a "broken" parent. Be there for him, every practice, game, event etc, love him unconditionally, live within your means making every sacrifice yourself so that when an oppurtunity comes for them to learn, develop socially, or have fun as a family etc you can provide that. My sons played competitive sports, got scholarships, traveled the world, graduated from college, have successful careers. But, you know what they remember? That they were loved, provided for, and had a blast growing up! You can do this! Keep adult troubles away from them. Give as much as you can financially meeting needs & wants when you can & be there loving him every step of the way as much as physically possible. He will be forgiving and compassionate as long as he knows that you are doing your best! Hope that you get better! Thank you, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-25-2012 at 03:56 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
John1959A (11-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
John1959A (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

John1959A HB User

you are very kind thank you so much!!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
(male)

John1959A HB User

Thanks I'm am very new to this board thing I didn't realize I posted on wrong place. Thank you. And yes I am in pain management program May I ask why?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
(male)

John1959A HB User

Thanks so much. As for MRI I have had several but not sure about the area you suggested. Should I speak to my pain management doctor about this? You are very kind.
Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

What types of treatments are you receiving in pain management? What part of your back are they treating?

A cervical MRI would be of the neck area. MRIs are usually done in sections -- cervical, thoracic, and lumbar, which often includes the sacral area. Many of your symptoms sound like they should be coming from the lumbar area of the spine, but I suspect yours involve your spinal cord and are coming from the cervical area....Of course I am not a physician...just another traveler along the road of spinal problems with quite a bit of experience...but I would definitely ask about this possibility.

You are on the right board now, so feel free to ask questions...and, welcome!

Last edited by teteri66; 11-25-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Hi John! I was only pointing out the back problems board because there are more people here who can relate to you, and you will probably get more responses here for your back issues than you would in "general health". But you are here now so all is good! I was just trying to offer some help!

Also I was asking if you were in pain management to try to get more of a picture of your situation. And with your constant pain I was going to suggest you go if you werent already. Pain management has saved my life. I really don't know if I'd be here, or where I'd be if I didn't get some sort of relief! They have been a blessing!

Welcome to the board!!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 11-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
back pain, degenerative disc/joint disease, siatica