It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Lightbulb Loathe & despise laying in bed! Anyone else?

Hi everyone, Have any of you found that after multiple surgeries or constant pain that you hate the bed? Just wondering? Supposed fact is that all/most chronic pain sufferers have insomnia, could it be because we fight going to bed? I have spent Sooo many hours in the bed with back surgeries, csf leaks, pain, etc i hate laying/ lying in bed. I fight against it like a baby that doesnt want to miss anything! Insomnia, yes. But, i think its because i relate pain & the bed! Anyone else? Have you ever thought about it? Would like to hear others thoughts, ideas, stories. Please? Thanks, gmak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Loathe & despise laying in bed! Anyone else?

Not sure I asked you. Chronic pain affects my memory. How many hours are you able to sleep at night?

Oh, you will love that, I cannot rest my neck on the pillow at all (both sides). So you can understand my life has been a nightmare for 7 years already.
Before, I was able to sleep 8-9 hours. Now, without sleeping pills 1-2-3 hours.

I am sure 100% I cannot sleep cause of pain since I cannot rest my neck on the pillow.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: nochange
gmak (11-27-2012), workinmom572 (12-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

ag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB User
Question Re: Loathe & despise laying in bed! Anyone else?

[B]Gmak[/B],i understand completely. I used to be a person who could sleep hrs and hrs no problem. It is the opposite now. the bed is the enemy. I have invested in a memory foam mattress cover. It made a difference before surgery on all the tender tender trigger points. but now after surgery it kinda creeps me out when it compresses in some areas and then reaches up to touch against my recent incisions. I always take my pain meds and muscle relaxer before bed so i can relax enough to fall asleep. I am terrified of when i am weaned off the meds and have to attempt sleep the natural way.
[B]NoChange[/B] have your tried a latex pillow? it is the only thing i can use since my C-5 fusion surgery. And yes! is the pain why my brain is mush? or two surgeries in 4 months?? i have given up on being responsible for remembering anything anymore!! i had memory problems before but its ridiculous now.
I wish you good sleep...
Agwhitten

The following user gives a hug of support to ag993:
nochange (11-26-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ag993 For This Useful Post:
gmak (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hey guys, I sleep one to five hours max a night. After taking sleep med, takes few hours for me to get sleepy enough to make myself go to bed. At the very first chance i get close enough to conscienciousness, i "jump" out of bed! Sometimes i find that i've been asleep only forty minutes! When i sleep more than five hours, i awaken with "recovery room" pain. Like when you have surgery & dreaming away then, bam you are awake & in major pain. "Need More Stories!" Thank you,gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-25-2012 at 11:05 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
nochange (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello Gmak!, (or anyone else?)if you don't mind me asking....Do you think there is a connection between hair and chronic pain and insomnia (lack of sleep). There are many days I am only sleeping 40 minutes also, just like you.

Somebody has just told me it looks like I am losing some of my hair....HELP.
Also, I don't eat much, it's enough for me one meal a day. I am just not hungry.
Can you lose your hair(some of your hair of course)cause of lack of sleep and chronic pain?

Thanks

Last edited by nochange; 11-26-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello agwhitten, when you say latex, do you mean a firm or a soft one?

Thank you.

Last edited by nochange; 11-26-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Gmak, if I understand your concern, it is more of a psychological one of hating the bed. I understand! I have lupus, RA, had 3 back surgeries, one neck surgery and have to lie down frequently because of pain or fatigue. Here's some ideas: I never go to my bed during the day. I lie on the couch in family room, or a recliner. If I have to nap, I occasionally lie down on another bed in a different room. I think of it as my "day bed" and my regular bed as my night only bed. Perhaps you also need a longer acting sleeping pill. Ambien is very short. Temazapam (Restoril) is good and longer acting but I can take it with no hangover. Sleep apnea causes insomnia and daytime fatigue, brain fog, etc. and it may be worth getting checked for that. Once you get treated for it, if you have it, you sleep much better and feel much better during the day. If you hang out during the day in the rooms of your home OTHER THAN your bedroom, you will lose your hatred of it. Also, try doing some redecorating of your bedroom to freshen it, make it look pretty, different and soothing, and it may help change your perspective of it. Try thinking of it as your nighttime sanctuary, and de-clutter it if needed, put up some nice artwork, make the lighting soft, the linens luxurious and you might like it then. Then stay out of it during the day and stay in the "active" parts of your place. Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
gmak (01-20-2013)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

PS I know you suffer from bad back and neck pain. I would experiment with using a body pillow or a pillow or two between or under your knees when you sleep. I find that getting into a comfortable position initially helps the pain and the sleep follows. I use 2 pillows under my knees when on back, then put those in between my knees when on side. It straightens the spine and aligns it and I can last an hour or more in one position that way. A heating pad on low or a heated mattress pad may help too. I like those better than an electric blanket with the heat on top, since heat rises, it makes more sense to have it under you. There are two supplements I take, Inositol 500mg (inhibits histadine which keeps people awake) and GABA 500mg (increases Serotonin to help you sleep). They are available in health food stores. I feel for you as I have struggled with these same issues in past or present.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (12-05-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
(female)

FrankieSet HB User

There is undoubtedly the connection element between lying down and pain. Your body is now conditioned to expect pain when you get into bed, explaining possibly why you seem to dread it so much. In these situations, Ive always been told if you cant change the situation, change what you can. You have to sleep so how about getting a new bec? decorating perhaps? If you got a new bed frame, maybe a memory foam mattress or a latex mattress ,something different from your current sleeping area, it would represent a mental break from your previous traumas?

The Following User Says Thank You to FrankieSet For This Useful Post:
gmak (01-20-2013)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

It's not my bed that I hate so much as the fact that all the hours I spend lying on it are so BORING! I'm really not a big television watcher, I'd rather be on the computer.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I had a different problem. Every time I laid down unbearable pain would surge down my legs. Got so I was afraid to lie down. This lasted for a few years now I get sciatica every night if I lay on my side for more than a few minutes.

The following user gives a hug of support to pooby:
gmak (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
(female)

alida1234 HB User
Smile Re: Loathe & despise laying in bed! Anyone else?

I had surgery last December......and my husband bought me a Kendall fire...it kept me sane! I play words with friends Read books check email all on my back!!!;

Last edited by moderator2; 11-26-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Thanks everyone. Ive done all of the suggestions already b/c this has been for years, but the supplements& heating pad i havent, thank you. I just hate laying down like im, i just realized i think i hate it because when i wake up im always in pain. Then, i have to start my day fighting it! And at night, its already been fought & "usually" dont hurt as much. Im so glad that the kindle was suggested. My sons gave me a nook color which you can hold to your face & touch away! Maybe this is why? Glad to know im not only one! I really never sleep on my back, i thought it caused more pain. Remember, the pillows under the legs from post op, will try that. Its just the i dont want to,dread. Hot bath, pretty gown all perfect room & Yuk! No way! Maybe Im "crazy"after 30 years of pain! Glad to know im not the only one that has this problem, the bed=pain, not the crazy part! Lol gmak Thinking of bed now & it just gives me anxiety plus! Do you all(that would be ya'll for me) think that this could have anything to do with the stats that chronic pain sufferers have high rate of insomnia? And i have to ask my dr but do you
know if morphine long acting/ 24hrs can be taken @ night? Dear pooby, i know that you have aa, like me. Im so sorry. I hope these suggestions, ideas help you too. One more thing, i have a hard time with finding pillows. Did we get a clear answer on the latex?

Last edited by gmak; 11-26-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added

Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Btw change, i will tell you all i know about hair loss but a question first. Since you cant lay your neck down, or sleep on your sides, is the hair missing/ lessened on the back of your head? Could it be you are moving around alot ehen you sleep always on back & its breaking your hair? There is a pillow, used to be called jackson cervical pillow, like a bolster but special in that it touches just your cheek when on your side. Its built up on ends to be right heighth for side sleeping, flatter in middle for back sleeping. It doesnt touch your neck, unless you pull it down under your neck, and as i recall if you do it supports your neck in all positions. Ok, hair is affected by genes, nutrition, hormones as i understand it. My neighbor had this thinning. A dr told her to take a multi vitamin & mineral supplement, to eat an egg daily, he said albumin has to do with the molecular structure of hair & albumin in hair productsdoesnt count. She hates eggs but started eating them & since the next part has to do with you going to dr, ask if ok to eat egg daily. Her thyroid hormones were extremely low. Pituitary was putting out TSH but her thyroid wouldnt respond.Get this checked& also she was in menopause, so estrogen was gone and her testosterone was low or high, cant remember, so she takes female hormone replacement therapy now. She has millions of new hairs that are 3" & 1" long now. She saw a dermatologist first, as many people dont realize they treat hair & nails as well. I know you know that pregnant women have beautiful hair usually. He said b/c of prenatal vitamins, they eat well, & their hormones are soaring. So, im no expert,haha just a friend who remembers somewhat! We rejoice over that new hair. My mom doesnt eat b/c never hungry. Me either. The thing i do is make sure that what i do eat is good for me, somewhat! Lol thank you, gmak

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

[QUOTE=alida1234;5094979]I had surgery last December......and my husband bought me a Kendall fire...it kept me sane! I play words with friends Read books check email all on my back!!!;[/QUOTE]

I love my kindle! I've got a regular one, DH has the Fire, and I play/read on them both while I'm laying flat on my back... only I can't use them for more than an hour or so at a time because my arms get really sore from holding the weight. I read regular books too, usually paperbacks because they're lighter.

Closed Thread