It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
(female)

penneyn HB User
How Bad Is It To Have a Desiccated Disk?

I have had problems with my back since I fell off a telephone pole while working as a lineman (excuse me... line WOMAN... LOL!) back in 1979. It has gotten progressively worse over time and exacerbated by a number of falls in the past ten years. At the time, I was diagnosed as having a herniated disk.... and recently, my doctor has told me that I now have two herniated disks and a desiccated disk. I've read up on this condition, and from what I have read, this can be a VERY painful condition, and for me, it has been. In spite of all of that, my doc told me that she's bewildered because she can't find any reason for the pain. Uh... do two herniated disks and a desiccated disk not explain this?

Right now, I'm taking Flexeril for the pain, and it works insomuch as it puts me to sleep, and during the two to four hours I sleep, I am unaware of the pain, which is right with me when I wake up.

I don't understand why she doesn't consider these issues as the cause of my pain. To say I am confused is an understatement. Just how bad is this?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: How Bad Is It To Have a Desiccated Disk?

Sounds like you are lucky that is all that's wrong, considering your history. I can't imagine having one of those falls, let alone severe.

Please give us a couple more details. At what part of the spine are the discs located? What are your symptoms? What makes the pain better or worse? Do you have it all the time? Have you had a MRI and finally, what type of doctor is managing your back issues?

Generally speaking, it is not so much what is "wrong" with your back as how badly a nerve is being compressed, and what is causing the compression. Discs can herniate and even dessicate and the patient can be unaware of it if the nerve is not being compressed or irritated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply