It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
work suggestions post fusion please

I cannot return to my current job as it entails lifting 40-70 lbs constantly and then also over 100 lbs occasionally, along with non-stop on feet. My dr. and pt have both said never more than 10 lbs once I am fully recovered.

I used to work at a desk job before that job above. But I cannot sit for 8 hours either because of my fusion and I also have two badly herniated cervical discs and all that desk work killed me then and does now if I sit at desk too long at home.

I have no idea what to apply for when I am released. What jobs are not too much sitting for us with fusions? What jobs entail no lifting and not too much on your feet? Is there an "ideal" job for someone post fusion who desperately wants and needs to work at least part time, just something to bring money in to pay the bills?

I'm enrolled in college but not sure if I should or not. but If I will not be working I might as well be learning I am thinking. I am 42 and just want a degree to be content with myself.

Thanks for any ideas.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

Bigmamaree HB User
Re: work suggestions post fusion please

I usually don't post, but I am in a similar situation. My honest thoughts are not to return back to those job duties because if you are not fully healed, you could injure yourself much more than you are now! So possibly, see you could change your duties for the next year until you are fully healed. No one would want to be on permanent disability when it could have been avoided!

As for school, I am completing my Masters degree. I need to have a TLIF, and I'm hoping to have it scheduled between my winter break. This way, I won't have to worry about meeting the requirements and trying to heal from surgery at the same time. During the summer when I was out on disability, school was my sanity! I do online learning so it gave me something other to focus on than my back issues. Plus, with online learning you can do it at your own convenience. So if you had to choose, and you are comfortable within a learning environment, I'd pick to go to school. If not, change your duties to meet the needs of your health.

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

Bigmamaree HB User
Re: work suggestions post fusion please

I usually don't post, but I am in a similar situation. My honest thoughts are not to return back to those job duties because if you are not fully healed, you could injure yourself much more than you are now! So possibly, see you could change your duties for the next year until you are fully healed. No one would want to be on permanent disability when it could have been avoided!

As for school, I am completing my Masters degree. I need to have a TLIF, and I'm hoping to have it scheduled between my winter break. This way, I won't have to worry about meeting the requirements and trying to heal from surgery at the same time. During the summer when I was out on disability, school was my sanity! I do online learning so it gave me something other to focus on than my back issues. Plus, with online learning you can do it at your own convenience. So if you had to choose, and you are comfortable within a learning environment, I'd pick to go to school. If not, change your duties to meet the needs of your health.

Good Luck!

Closed Thread