It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
(female)

mia448 HB User
Update

Hi guys, well I made it through the discogram! They gave me as much meds as they could and I only remember waking up in horrid pain crying and someone wiping my tears and rubbing my arm! And asking for pain meds. I was so out of it that I don't remember them giving me a second iv in my other hand, not sure why they needed two?

So it turns out that I have 3 ruptured disks and the plan is a 2 level plif on jan 23, I have to donate 3 units of blood for the surgery, is that normal? I will be in the hospital for 3-5 days. He did say he might have to make it a 3 level depending on what he will see in there.
I have been all over these boards and online reading people's stories of their fusions.

I'm very worried about them controlling my pain once I leave the hospital because as of now my pain is not that well controlled. They have me on oxycodone 10mg x 6 per day and Fentnayl 50 mcg. I had a gastric bypass in 2004 and with the new routing of my plumbing the pills only last about an hour per pill.

Has anyone had a RNY and had a lumbar fusion? Did they control your pain well? If so with what? Also did you fuse ok?

Ok guys that's it for now any input is greatly appreciated!
I'm very scared to have this done but I cannot stand the back pain( I don't have pain in my legs at all yet but they said it was started on my left leg, they could tell by the way I moved it up when lifting it on the table)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

lorileamc HB Userlorileamc HB Userlorileamc HB Userlorileamc HB User
Smile Re: Update

Donating your own blood is a great idea-these surgeries can lead to a lot of blood loss. I had to be transfused with 8 units during/after my surgery! I'm 4-1/2 weeks out post L4, L5, S1 fusion and doing great-needing no pain meds at all, but I think I have a high pain tolerance cuz I quit taking anything at 3 weeks out. If you are having lots of pain now, it may be a different kind of pain post surgery and hopefully they can try different meds to control it. Usually you'll have morphine by IV while in the hospital and they'll wean you off that to oral meds. They aren't going to let you go home without having the pain under control so don't fear that. Good luck w/your surgery!!

Closed Thread