It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

merlino165 HB User
Extreme numbness and weakness after spinal surgery

This is my 2nd post. I had laminectomy for spinal stenosis 5 weeks ago and I am still numb from the waist down. Mostly in my back, stomach, quads, knees. My right leg is so weak that I have to use a cane. The stenosis was in L4 and L5 regions. Prior to laminectomy I had epidural steroid injections which worked for pain for a few weeks. But numbness persisted and I had one more round, which seemed to have caused the numbness to get worse. Then I had the laminectomy, in the hopes that the numbness would get better. So far it is just as bad or even worse. I was told it is too early to assess whether or not this surgery is successful, but I would still like to have some idea if my spinal nerve will ever heal. I was told that due to the compression over some time, it will take time for it to heal. My right leg is the absolute worse, where the numbness is all the way down to the toes. I seriously cannot bend my foot up or down. I am have PT and do my exercises but I have not seen any improvement yet. I am trying to keep a positive state of mind but it is hard. Any idea if the nerve will heal and I can start walking properly again and living a life? The NS comes well regarded and I hope she didn't make a mistake. Sometimes I wish I never even had this surgery because I walked better before. The pain, on the other hand, is way less and that is good.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Extreme numbness and weakness after spinal surgery

[B] I am still numb from the waist down. Mostly in my back, stomach, quads, knees. [/B]

Were you numb in the stomach and quads prior to surgery? What were your symptoms prior to surgery? Where was your pain and what did it keep you from doing?

What is the situation now? Do you have pain down the back or the front of your leg?

While it is true that it takes nerves awhile to settle down after surgery, particularly if they had to be moved or touched during the surgery, what you seem to be experiencing sounds a tad more than usual.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

merlino165 HB User

I had these symptoms before the surgery. I was numb in the abdomen, back, quads, knees, etc. Pain in in my hips too now, but not too bad. Although I didn't have pain immediately after the surgery. I now have such weakness in my right leg that I have to walk with a cane, which I didn't have to prior to surgery. Prior to surgery, I had pain all over my body but mostly in my hips. I also had knee surgery a few weeks before which still gives me problems probably due to the numb knees. I found it hard to exercise and my ROM on my right side was horrible. The nurse keeps blowing me off and the doctor doesn't see me until 12/17. They don't seem concerned about this but who knows since I still have not seen my surgeon since my 11/6 surgery. They are handling this as something routine. Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm sorry I don't have much to add. I've never heard of someone having numbness in the stomach from a problem at L4-L5. I've not had a laminectomy alone so I'm not sure how long a typical recovery is supposed to be....everything about your case seems somewhat unusual. It would be helpful if your doctor's office would answer your questions.

Sometimes with a laminectomy, too much bone is inadvertently removed which leads to some instability. It can create more problems than the person had originally. It may be that even though the nerve is now decompressed, it is still traumatized and will take awhile to recover.

Reply Reply