It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

pubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB User
general question

I didn't want to ask my doctor this lol

With all the Epidural Injections, and related injections, are you artificially feeling good? Granted they work regardless why should I care, just curious. If they work great do most people feel like, there is minor similar pain just nothing comparable to before?

People say with disc problems that you carry on about your business just "you gotta be careful." Those quotes are powerful words, as my fear right now would be that constant pain before the injections coming back due to re-irritation.

Last edited by pubbies; 12-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: general question

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. The steroid injections reduce inflammation. When they "work" it is ini part because some pressure is taken off the affected nerve. If there is irritated tissue, the steroid helps it to heal and is soothing...but it does nothing to make you feel "high." It is not an opioid.

If the pain is caused by a bad disc, it may "heal" but if one continues with the same lifestyle,makes the same choices, etc. chances are the problem will develop again at some point in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
(male)

You understood what I was saying lol. I wasn't in reference to feeling any type of "feeling" other then the localized pain problems I was having going away to certain extent. The problems I was having before the injections was terrible, unbearable. This pain is not nearly as bad but its all in the same locations as before the injections, its very mild and comes and goes (comes more then goes).

if that makes sense

Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would guess that means that whatever was irritating or compressing a nerve is resolving but is not completely resolved. So I would advise that you keep being careful to use good body mechanics, good posture and structural alignment, watch how you lift and how much you lift, try to limit the amount of time spent sitting without taking a little break, etc. And keep working to strengthen the back and core muscles.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
(male)

Teteri you're the best. My doctor at home I should say haha

I've been taking it easy - trying to let it heal fully as possible before I even try to get back into the groove of things. I'm just so anxious about everything, I wanna know everything (my child side of me) and it's my body so I wanna know whats going on at all times, you know what I mean lol. Thanks again tet!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The important thing is to try very hard to gradually resume activity and learn to listen to your body. Avoid pushing yourself. Especially with the holidays upon us, it is easy to try to squeeze too many things in, tiring yourself and really doing too much. Then you get in a situation where the inflammation starts up again, the nerve gets irritated again...and the pain becomes chronic.

When you feel that first twinge that your back is about to become sore, take a break or stop what you are doing. I find that if I can lie down on a firm surface (I usually opt for the floor whenever possible...if you see some crazy lady lying on the floor on her back in a quiet corner of an airport, that might be me!!) at the first sign of a back twinge, I can stop the pain in its tracks. I usually only have to lie there for about five minutes and then I'm good to go for awhile longer. After I travel, or have been on my feet for a long time, I try to hit the floor for a quiet period. It lets the discs unload, helps me realign my spine and lets all the muscles and soft tissue relax. I highly recommend it!

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
pubbies (12-12-2012)
Closed Thread