It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

AK21 HB User
Unhappy Someone stole my pain meds, pls comment

Hello,
I am 4 weeks out of a micro discectomy and have been in a lot of pain, although I am seeing some improvement. My doc had me go back to work at 2 weeks but felt that upping the pain meds while i strengthen at work would help me more in the long run.

When I first had this back problem presurgery I had a family member who visited and while I was in the bathroom stole some of my meds. When confronted this person returned what hadn't been taken and apologized but "can't help it" as they were once addicted.

We haven't really seen this person since (awkward) but since surgery I have been a little surprised at how much meds I've been going through, I figured it was just the pain and that I had been taking More than I thought (still less than prescribed). Then I came home today and found literally 1/2 of a brand new bottle of pills I just got gone. Yes this person had access to a spare key of another family member but I NEVER in my life thought they would intentionally go into my house to steal this. Crime of opportunity is sort of different than this.

I can't think of any other possibility, and nothing else was taken. I don't know what to do, and feel I can't really confront this person without proof. I am so upset, feel so violated, and taken advantage of. I know there is nothing that I can do but I just need some support. Everything is locked up now and are changing the locks on the house.

I get along very well with this person, I don't really understand addiction and I don't know if they feel guilty, or what. But I certainly feel like ***** about it.

Any helpful or uplifting comments are appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Someone stole my pain meds, pls comment

Wow. That is quite a story. You are smart to get the locks changed. Sounds like the person hasn't beaten her addiction.

How are you feeling otherwise?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
(female)

emskatharine HB User

Unfortunately, this is Problem with prescription medications. I lost a friend that I had known for 20 years over this. They can be very manipulative and make you feel crazy at times. My friend would tell me I was taking more than I remembered. I never had any proof until he overdosed on my pills in front of my children. Don't let it go that far. Keep these people away from your life any way you can. I would lock my pills in my gun safe and only carry 2 pills at a time on me. Even after he overdosed he tried to say he had blood sugar problems. Trust your gut instinct.

Last edited by emskatharine; 12-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to emskatharine For This Useful Post:
AK21 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
(female)

AK21 HB User

Thank you for your comments. It has been sort of a roller coaster with how I am feeling, great for a few days and then horrible for a few after. I am on an upswing now with the upswings lasting longer, and have sort of thought of writing a thread documenting the "stages" of recovery I have been through as I thought that it might help others. Some of the types and places for pain were surprising to me as I was only sort of expecting back pain. Otherwise am feeling better though and getting stronger every day! I am just dreading calling my Dr. and having to try to get more medicine if I need it. I will probably start rationing what I have and I hope it works out. Thank goodness I am having a good day and have a 3 day weekend coming up!

Thanks for asking

Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
(female)

AK21 HB User

[QUOTE=emskatharine;5103474]Unfortunately, this is Problem with prescription medications. I lost a friend that I had known for 20 years over this. They can be very manipulative and make you feel crazy at times. My friend would tell me I was taking more than I remembered. I never had any proof until he overdosed on my pills in front of my children. Don't let it go that far. Keep these people away from your life any way you can. I would lock my pills in my gun safe and only carry 2 pills at a time on me. Even after he overdosed he tried to say he had blood sugar problems. Trust your gut instinct.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I believe you for sure. I was just so shocked by this whole situation and I never thought I would have to hide/lock up something in my own house. I really thought I was going crazy too because I am only taking about 1/2 the prescribed amount and I was surprised that I needed a refill already, and then I came home and was missing literally 1/2 a new bottle. We have the meds locked up for today and are changing locks tonight.

It just makes things so difficult because when this has happened in the past everyone just sort of ignores it and expects me to as well. It's a fairly close family member and so limiting access will probably be key, but how do I know how far they would be willing to go to get it?

I wish I understood addiction better, like what were they thinking? I thought we were closer and I feel like that person had to know I would suffer from their actions.

Hopefully within the next two weeks (as my Doc predicts) I will back in shape and wont have to deal with these meds anymore. I really appreciate your insight and your comments, thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to AK21:
emskatharine (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=AK21;5103592]Wow, I believe you for sure. I was just so shocked by this whole situation and I never thought I would have to hide/lock up something in my own house. I really thought I was going crazy too because I am only taking about 1/2 the prescribed amount and I was surprised that I needed a refill already, and then I came home and was missing literally 1/2 a new bottle. We have the meds locked up for today and are changing locks tonight. just makes things so difficult because when this has happened in the past everyone just sort of ignores it and expects me to as well. It's a fairly close family member and so limiting access will probably be key, but how do I know how far they would be willing to go to get it? I understood addiction better, like what were they thinking? I thought we were closer and I feel like that person had to know I would suffer from their actions.
Hopefully within the next two weeks (as my Doc predicts) I will back in shape and wont have to deal with these meds anymore. I really appreciate your insight and your comments, thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi ak, What i think the person is thinking is that you have not noticed, & that they have gotten away with it, since confronted before but not again. I carry my medicines in a zip top make up bag. It goes into my trunk if I leave home & if valet park i take it inside with me. Even @ home it stays with me even if i change rooms if not home alone. My dr told me to treat it like money. I hope your surgery continues to make you better each day!

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
AK21 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
(female)

AK21 HB User

Thanks, I guess I just learned the hard way that I need to be vigilant about my medications, I just never thought I would have to worry about them in my own house. Addiction can be powerful I guess.
I just don't know what to do..... confront the person? What if they are depressed and it causes intense guilt? Seems that it would solve nothing except increase tensions that already exist. I also feel like family members would be mad at me if I did with no proof. Even though I am sure we all know the truth.

I also feel guilty myself for not knowing better. What if this person did OD? I feel like it would be my fault, and maybe I am taking it too personally but the whole situation just really upsets me because I feel violated, frustrated, and like I've been taken advantage of by someone I should be able to trust. I know I won't be able to trust this person again, and that sucks too.

Thanks for listening, I guess I am just complaining now. Thanks for the insight though and I will take all of your advise!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=AK21;5103694]Thanks, I guess I just learned the hard way that I need to be vigilant about my medications, I just never thought I would have to worry about them in my own house. Addiction can be powerful I guess.
I just don't know what to do..... confront the person? What if they are depressed and it causes intense guilt? Seems that it would solve nothing except increase tensions that already exist. I also feel like family members would be mad at me if I did with no proof. Even though I am sure we all know the truth.
I also feel guilty myself for not knowing better. What if this person did OD? I feel like it would be my fault, and maybe I am taking it too personally but the whole situation just really upsets me because I feel violated, frustrated, and like I've been taken advantage of by someone I should be able to trust. I know I won't be able to trust this person again, and that sucks too.
Thanks for listening, I guess I am just complaining now. Thanks for the insight though and I will take all of your advise![/QUOTE]

Dear AK, This may help you as it has me. I would never leave alcohol out in the open if someone is trying to beat alcoholism. Because i wouldnt want to "tempt" them. Thats how i view my medicine. I would never want to "tempt" a curious teenager or someone that has an addiction or drug abuse problem. My
dr views it from the perspective that it is against the law & for that reason i would need to report it to
police & let them do the investigation. I would have your same reservations if i didnt have proof, and
relationships would be damaged, but dr thinks, no requires that i must obey law also & if stolen, report
it & let police handle it. I even had to sign a contract saying so! I hope this all works out for you & your
family members. It is a quite disheartening situation and you have my hope that it will be alright in the
long run. So sorry this even happened. I understand that when it involves someone that you love so much and you would never do anything like this to them and it hurts that they hurt you this way. I had a neighbor who put her medicine in a safe, in the back of her closet, the closet door was 3' from her head of her bed. Later, she found the bottom of the thick, hard plastic safe with a hole knocked in it! She had never left home once, so only her son or husband could have done it. Horrible that someone wanted it that badly!

Last edited by gmak; 12-13-2012 at 09:48 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
AK21 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
(female)

Stormy5475 HB User

I have a lockbox for all our Narcotic med's. My son takes concerta so thats locked up too. I have no fear my immediate family would take med's that dont belong nor would I think my friends. But with the way the law is and rules at the pain mang clinic's I am not leaving it up to chance.
My lock box cost about $25.00 it has a keypad and a key. Its a good idea and would well be worth the hassle and you wouldnt run out of meds if you did not catch on to someone sneaking your meds.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stormy5475 For This Useful Post:
AK21 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
(female)

AK21 HB User

I understand, and thanks for the insight. We are changing the locks on our house tonight and I locked them up right away, although we will probably have to invest in a better lock-box when we go to get the new door locks too. I am starting to feel better and take the situation for what it is and move forward with my new knowledge

Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
(female)

emskatharine HB User

Addiction is a very dangerous thing and very hard to understand. I had to move from Texas to Mississippi for my son to be at a better hospital and my "friend" insisted upon coming to help. I didn't want him around due to his previous actions with my meds. He followed me anyways. I had my meds in a lock box and the key around my neck and I caught him trying to break into the lock box. Addicts will stop at nothing to get what they want. The best thing you can do is distance yourself from those people. I hope things work out for you. I'll be praying for you.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
(female)

georgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB User

I have been thru the same thing as you , only my meds where for pain from the dentist along long time ago in fact at least 20 yrs. ago. I will tell you the truth. This was a very close family member and I hated to confront them but I did and they never saw me again for a few yrs. It is the worst feeling and yes you were vialated you need to remember that onc you confront them then let the past be the past and never ever leave pills in your bathroom or bedroom, I have mine hidden in a shoe box with a to of tape over it and that gets put in the closet closest to the door in fam. room. I only do that when we have company over and I dodnt care who they are I never again will allow someone to take what belongs to me. I am sorry you have to deal with such heart ache but it will pass and you have learned the hard way like so many of us. Take care and please confront them. you will feel better in the end.

Closed Thread