It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

mrsodie75 HB User
There is something that can be done if you are still having symptoms discecgtomy

I had a discectomy 11/28/12 and have been reading previous posts on HealthBoards re: other people's experiences. I noted that a lot of people still had residual symptoms for weeks or months after surgery. I also had a lot of the same symptms in my leg and buttocks following surgery. I wanted to share some information with others who feel hopeless. I am a physical therapist assistant and talk from a professional standpoint as well as someone that has gone through this surgery. The nerve pain that you feel into the leg and buttock prior to surgery causes tightness in your body that go beyond just muscles. The surgery fixes the disc, but the nerve tightness remains (more severe the longer you had to deal with the problem before you had it fixed). PT is very important to do after surgery to learn what is right and wrong, to learn exercises for flexibility and strength and to help with scar healing....but there is something else that therapy could provide, but not all therapists have learned the technique so you have to be an advocate for yourself and ask. There is a technique called craniosacral which, basically, helps to stretch the nerves and associated tightness in the protective covering of your spinal cord. I was fortunate to know how to do this, but I cannot treat myself with this, so I taught my husband how to treat and my residual pain is 99% gone. I am frustrated that so many people still are suffering and I believe there is hope. Please note that I urge you to still talk with you doctor about your symptoms and this treatment because there are times when the disc has reherniated and the doctor needs to fix it, but please note there are other solutions.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsodie75 For This Useful Post:
tasuncion72 (12-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
(female)

Bikkiebak HB User
Re: There is something that can be done if you are still having symptoms discecgtomy

Hi, I read your post with interest, I have not heard of the physio exercise you mention, as I live rural remote I have been discharged with a simple leaflet from physio which doesnt say much, as I had my surgery in the city I do not qualify for physio at my local health service because I did not have the surgery there, (cant have this tyoe of surgery here in any case we have no neurosurgeon) more information would be appreciated thanks

Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
(female)

mrsodie75 HB User
Re: There is something that can be done if you are still having symptoms discecgtomy

The therapy is a manual technique and unfortunately it is something that could only be done by someone who has been trained. Is it possible to see a physical therapist for one or two times for which you may have to travel? The technique is taught by the Upledger Foundation and it would be difficult to go into extensive detail re: what it does, but the easy definition is that it stretches the spinal cord rythem from head to toe.
I hope this helps

Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

Bikkiebak HB User

I googled this after you post, there is a physio in my nearest capital city about 600km away who advertise they do the cranialsacral method, Im due to go down in 5 weeks for a post op visit, is it worth doing this at such a late stage in my recovery? Sounds great and beneficial.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
(female)

mrsodie75 HB User

I think it would be great at this stage in your recovery. I have worked with patients who have had issues for years and this technique has been useful each time. I am so happy for you! Good luck and the good news is that is not painful

Closed Thread