It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Baclofen

I have used SOMA (carisoprodyl) for back spasms recurring for many years. It helps a lot and I take perhaps 8-12 of them to get me through the 3 days of nearly immobile Hell. Yes, it makes me want to sleep and keeps me half groggy.
But then I am okay...for another few weeks.
I have thought of taking them daily for profylaxis but hate the idea of permanent semi-sedation.

Well now, it seems SOMA has gone controlled substance and will be pulled from my formulary and I need a substitute (or a LOT more money)

Have any of you back pain sufferers tried baclofen for relief of back spasms? It's cheap, non-addicting and uncontrolled.
It's supposed to influence our GABA receptors?

Anything good or bad to say about the drug? Is it a decent substitute for carisoprodyl?

Last edited by Voxx976; 12-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Baclofen

I have found that this type of drug has results that vary quite a bit from person to person...more so than an opioid, for example.

I personally never had any relief from baclofen...but that isn't to say you won't. Flexeril worked well for me without any sedating feelings...but then I never suffered from lots of spasms either...so I'm not a good example.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
(male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User

I have back pain and spasms from a burst fracture of L1 many years ago. I have had good results using a combination of Tramadol and Baclofen with codeine used only for break thru pain.
As I take Warfarin for a hereditary clotting disorder, I have a consistent Tramadol dose for the pain. This keeps my INR between 2.5 and 3.0. When I have pain that is uncontrolled I use codeine as a supplement. This doesn't drive my INR up or down out of "range".
I take my maintenance dose of Baclofen three times a day, every day. I have a few days where I still have to deal with issues created by cramping muscles in my back. When I have cramping the Baclofen won't deal with, I use a TENS machine which relieves the cramping also.
I guess I have a primary system and a backup that covers all but rare occasions.
Baclofen works, for me, most of the time. Check with your doctor to find out how long you need to use it to get results as it's effectiveness builds up over time. It may be what you need. It is part of a regimen that resolves my issues.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

Thanks guys,
teteri,
Since I HATE flexeril...makes me all extrapyrramidal (like mescaline with no pleasurable sensations) I guess that leaves baclofen.

Dave
[QUOTE]I take my maintenance dose of Baclofen three times a day, every day.[/QUOTE]
Is that 3 x 10 mg or 3 x 20 mg.

If it doesn't help a lot I guess the only thing left in my formulary is tizanidine. But since baclofen is supposed to help with suppressing alcohol cravings, it would be a nice side-effect...so I hope it does the trick.

PS...I've been trying to avoid back surgery for 3 decades.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
(male)

Hi,
I take 3 X 10Mg. I don't take more because I have several medications that metabolized thru the liver and I already have NASH from bad choices with Tylenol in my 20's.
I'm told that a "safe" max dose is 80Mg/day.
My father , a GP for 40 years always says, "Back surgery should always be the last option.".

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I was on Baclofen and Oxycoden the beginning of the year. I didn't stay on it that long.

I am not sure that I really received any relief from taking baclofen. I was eventually taken off of both the Baclofen and Oxycoden because on several occasions I developed breathing problems. It seemed like after I took the medication in the beginning I was fine, but then I started to notice a change in my breathing after taking both the medications. I am not 100% sure that I can that the breating issues were related to the Baclofen/Oxycodone or not. It just seemed strange that I noticed it after taking the medication.

But then I was on Hydrocodone and tizanidine and noticed the same thing so was it related it not? tough to say...

Old 12-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I have been taking SOMA nightly and metaxalone (skelaxin) during the day; baclofen made me sick to my stomach. I had an extruded disc (now removed and fused) and the only pain I ever had in my back was from spasms. I am transitioning to metaxalone only, as it does not have any sedative effects for me. Metaxalone is less aggressive than SOMA, so maybe a good option as a prophylactic. I don't know anything about its interactions with other medications.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
(male)

[QUOTE=pebblebeach3;5104590]I was on Baclofen and Oxycoden the beginning of the year. I didn't stay on it that long.

I am not sure that I really received any relief from taking baclofen. I was eventually taken off of both the Baclofen and Oxycoden because on several occasions I developed breathing problems. It seemed like after I took the medication in the beginning I was fine, but then I started to notice a change in my breathing after taking both the medications. I am not 100% sure that I can that the breating issues were related to the Baclofen/Oxycodone or not. It just seemed strange that I noticed it after taking the medication.

But then I was on Hydrocodone and tizanidine and noticed the same thing so was it related it not? tough to say...[/QUOTE]

Hi,
My experience, opiates suppress breathing. Then there's the addictive problem.
Baclofen has to build up in the system, must be taken regularly, and will cause withdrawal symptoms if stopped suddenly.
Meds work differently for everyone, with a good pain manager you should be able to find several paths to pain control. Which one works best is strictly your call.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I can't believe baclofen is still in use in the market. It did nothing for me.
Yes, it's not addictive....but still, it does nothing.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
(male)

[QUOTE=nochange;5104738]I can't believe baclofen is still in use in the market. It did nothing for me.
Yes, it's not addictive....but still, it does nothing.[/QUOTE]

Aspirin is still on the market too, maybe there is a reason?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=DaveO48;5104763]Aspirin is still on the market too, maybe there is a reason?[/QUOTE]

Hi all, I was on soma 4 ◊ a day since 1988 & i was told by the dr he wouldnt prescribe it anymore. He put me on lyrica 150mg 2◊ a day & baclofen 20mg 3◊ a day. I was greatly improved in pain in general but can say it was b/c i wasnt having muscle spasms. Last appt was put on zanaflex, it makes me fall asleep standing up on 1 mg! Now, when i have severe m spasms, i have nothing but the baclofen & it doesnt work. He also said baclofen worked as a pain reliever/muscle relaxer. Does nothing as far as when i feel a spasm. Tinazidine is out for me. Soma is very old, too... but it works. Thank you, gmak

Ps. I have been having a hard time with m spasms & only parafon forte works a little. Flexeril made me sleep like a baby & not in a good way!. Basically, i used soma or diazepam in the severest of spasms, but they are long gone! My days of muscle spasms being treated are gone! Open to suggestions. Anyone?

Last edited by gmak; 12-16-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: ps

Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Clonazepam helps but it's addictive.

Aspirin was invented to treat pain, by the way. But I don't see anyone taking it anymore for pain!. As for why it is in the market....They found a new use for it------for protecting your heart.

But baclofen does nothing. It must be a joke. It's not for pain at all.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear vox, I would love to tell you about a new or different skeletal muscle relaxant that was comparable in relieving exactly that however, there is no such thing as far as my experience or my wisdom goes. These i have tried & for various reasons, I cant take them, the main reason being they didnt work for me in reducing skeletal muscle spasms: flexeril, tinazidine, baclofen, robaxin, skelaxin, norflex. Unfortunately, imo, none of the other benzodiazapenes or tricyclic anti-depressants worked for my muscle spasms, except for diazepam.I also would be interested in what else may have helped others as well.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: repeated info

Old 12-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

[QUOTE=nochange;5105190]Clonazepam helps but it's addictive.

Aspirin was invented to treat pain, by the way. But I don't see anyone taking it anymore for pain!. As for why it is in the market....They found a new use for it------for protecting your heart.

But baclofen does nothing. It must be a joke. It's not for pain at all.[/QUOTE]

Hi vox and no change, Thank you for the clonazapam info. After, suffering because of muscle spasms currently, I found several informative, reliable, in my opinion, resources about baclofen. To the best of my understanding and my opinion the information that i found says that baclofen helps with pain control, spasticity in diseases & conditions that cause myoclonic & clonic spasms as well as skeletal muscle spasms. It did help my chronic pain in general, along with my long & short acting opioids, lyrica etc. But, as far as skeletal muscle spasms acutely giving me muscle spasm pain it has not relieved my spasms @ all, in my opinion. Such a painful symptom... ouch!

Last edited by gmak; 12-17-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: reworded

Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
(male)

heath84 HB User

Ive taken flexiril valium and baclofen. Baclofen works the best but it barely works at all

Closed Thread