It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

Begora HB User
Unhappy Post discectomy L5/S1 Pain

Merry Christmas--but I am in such pain. No longer on narcs only neurotin and Ibubrofen. Pain in hips, legs, lower back, heels, feet. Wish I could get relief... Been almost 7 weeks since surgery. Sciatica gone but this is worse or almost as bad. Any suggestions??? Feel like I'm 90 and I'm 48. Previously very Phys active. Herniated disc preparing for a mil deployment that was canceled.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Post discectomy L5/S1 Pain

Hate to say it but there is a likelihood that the disc has reherniated. You should not be in this much pain after seven weeks. Look online for a "dermatome map." There are specific area of sensation and movement that are "governed" by a specific nerve. Anything below the waist is usually innervated by a lumbar nerve. If you find your symptoms fall into the L5 and S1 "pathways" it likely means that there is still a problem at this area.

If a nerve has been compressed for a gets immediate relief from a discectomy. It is possible that your symptoms are caused by the nerve being tugged on during surgery, or by some inflammation. If after having a new MRI to see if the disc has reherniated and that is not the case, the surgeon may order an epidural steroid injection at that level to try to quiet things down.

In any case, you need to contact your surgeon and tell him about all this pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
(female)

Begora HB User

Thx,66...I so appreciate your response. DID have another MRI last we'd and they said it looks "fine"...I am not crazy! I am having REAL pain. I am new to all this but am guessing it's all nerve related. I'll look up what you suggested. Last night writhing in pain in my sleep. Unacceptable! Thank you again!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
(female)

tasuncion72 HB User

I am 3 weeks post discectomy l5/s1 , the nerve pain is awful, my foot and my calf are still numb. My numb foot is starting to swell. I had the sciatic pain which nowhere touches the pain i have now. The dr told me i had a dural tear and that the herniation was way bigger than anticipated. I was wondering if you have had any relief yet? I hope it's better soon...

Closed Thread