It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
(male)

8string HB User
Decompression Lumbar surgery results?

I have had two discectomies in 2005 and 2007. I still had pain for a couple of years, then it got better. About a year ago it started up again. I have leg numbness and weakness, but my biggest pain is in the lower back. I've had 2 doctors tell me I need a decompression lumbar diseconomy. It is now scheduled for Jan 7th. I am very worried about going thru with this. I am hoping to get some advice about the outcomes from this surgery. I know they vary a lot, but any advice would be much appreciated. I am particularly looking for people that have had success. It seems that most people have bad experiences, but I don't know if thats partially because people with good results don't frequent BB's.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Decompression Lumbar surgery results?

Welcome to the board. Were your discectomies for the same disc, and is this third surgery at that same level?

You seem to be differentiating between the previous discectomies and the new surgery, which you call a "decompression lumbar diseconomy" which is a term I am not familiar with. Could you explain what this is and how it differs from the previous discectomy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
(male)

8string HB User

Thanks for welcoming me. The first two surgeries were micro discectomies on the same disk. The disc above and below has now deteriorated so the recommended surgery is a Decompessive Lumbar Disectomy (or Laminactomy). I am hopeful that I can hear from others that have had this done, and to learn what their results were. I'm not looking for diagnosis or other options, I've been thru that with multiple doctors, I just want to find other people that have had it done and ask them how theirs went. I have to apologize for misspelling Disectomy. I just saw that my spell checker changed it to diseconomy, I don't even know what that means.
Thanks,
Guy

Last edited by 8string; 12-27-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

So, several surgeons have recommended doing a laminectomy at the level above and below the disc that has been operated on twice? Is this disc L4-L5 by any chance?

Is the level that has had two discectomies also going to have a laminectomy?

There is a danger of creating instability when performing laminectomies on adjoining discs. This creates a situation where fusion becomes necessary to preserve the integrity of the spine.

Reply Reply