It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

wendiz HB User
Red face Post Op 12/20 laminectomy, partial facetectomy w nerve root decompression

Hi,

Well the surgery wasn't as bad as I expected but have some complications and need any advice or comments. The day before surgery I had several x rays where the surgeon discovered I am also suffering from spondylolisthesis (?), a vertebrae has slipped out of position which can contribute to instability of the spine.

During surgery, the surgeon had to remove more of the facet joint (about a third) than originally planned in order to remove the cyst. The first couple of days post op all of the leg and hip pain were completely gone. Around day 3 post op I began suffering from severe left leg and hip pain and it is not getting any better.

I am now 6 days post op and am suffering worst than before the surgery. What now? I don't see my surgeon again for a little more than two weeks.

Any advice or personal experience is welcome and greatly appreciated.

By the way, the pin from the actual sugery site is sore but not a big deal at all.

Thanks in Advance!

Wendi

Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Post Op 12/20 laminectomy, partial facetectomy w nerve root decompression

Before I feel comfortable trying to respond, I have a couple questions for you. First of all, at what level was the surgery? Where is the spondylolisthesis? (That is quite amazing that this was just noticed....) Do you know the extent of the slippage? Were you told a measure or a "grade?" I am going to assume it is a small amount or it would have been noticed on a basic MRI.

You wrote "the pin from the actual surgery site is sore but not a big deal at all." I don't understand what you mean by "pin?"

I gather the doctor did nothing about the spondylolisthesis. Is it at the same level where the facet was surgically altered?

Last edited by teteri66; 12-27-2012 at 06:14 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
wendiz (12-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
(female)

wendiz HB User

Hi,

Surgery was at L4/5 and the same place where the slippage was found. He did not give me a percentage or a grade, but then again I really did not ask many questions. He did say that if I was experiencing lots of lower back pain or was not in such a great hurry to return to work that he would probably fuse my spine. I am a single mom of three kids and am VP Sales for my company which involves weekly flights and many hours a day in a car. He did warn me that a fusion could be in my near future but that this could buy me a little time.

I meant to type the pain not pin has not been very bad. THANKS

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Personally, I would call the doctor about the increase in pain if it continues. I think two weeks is too long to wait. He may want to do a post op x-ray or MRI or some physical tests to try to identify the pain source. Are you scheduled for any physical therapy?

I had a facetotomy also to remove my synovial cyst, and two hemilaminectomies on the left side only. The hemilaminectomies are meant to stay open to relieve the mild spinal stenosis I had, but I'm not sure about the facetotomy - I did not ask how much was removed.

If the facetotomy hole was through the middle of the joint, I would assume it could grow closed, either partially or entirely? I know our spines are pretty active at producing bone spurs and enlarging facet joints as we grow older.

The Following User Says Thank You to CT06405 For This Useful Post:
wendiz (12-27-2012)
Closed Thread