It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
(male)

A516 HB User
Herniated disc surgery and now....

Hey guys I had surgery for a herniated disc (l5-s1) and now I've been having some very strange things happening. I've been having severe tightness in neck (mostly the side that the herniation was on) and headaches. I've also been having weird vision problems, like seeing light spots and just not being able to focus or concentrate on anything. Could this be from the surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Herniated disc surgery and now....

When was the surgery performed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
(male)

A516 HB User

It was just done in April. I've had a tightness in my lower back every since the surgery. Whenever I bend to my right I hear cracking in the lower left side of my back. This usually happens about every hour. But I have also been exercising a lot, could I be putting pressure on a nerve from the muscle I'm adding?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi a516, I had 4 back surgeries on L4-5, L5-S1 & i had blurry vision & lightheadedness, saw spots from the narcotic pain medicine giving me orthostatic hypotension, which is low blood pressure & getting up too fast, muscle relaxers affected my vision by affecting the muscles in my eyes, & the nerve pain medicines cymbalta & neurontin made the pressure go up in my eyes like glaucoma. You dont say how old you are but i also had "light spots" & the opthalmologist checked my retina thoroughly first & it was ok so he said the light spots were from the vitreous humor getting older & it was normal. About the exercise my neurosurgeon didnt let me exercise to the point of getting "ripped" or pumping iron! I think if i were you i wouldnt assume these things were from low back surgery only but i would ask the surgeon about exercise program, possible medicine changes, side effects, etc then see an opthalmologist, seeing light flashes can mean a torn retina which is an emergency.

Closed Thread