It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User
Acupuncture for back pain?

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can tell me their experience with acupuncture? Did it work for you for back pain? If yes how many sessions did it take?

My summary is:
Between 2000-2009, small probelms with back that were resolved with steroids, pain meds.
2009 herniated disc- Did PT, traction, injections- did not resolve issues.
2010 had microdiscetomy L5/S1
2011 same disc reherniated - Was not doing anything that involved heavy lifting or strenous activities. Did PT again and injections. Did not work and this herniation was worse than one in 2010- unable to drive- trouble walking- constant pain. Leg numbness & nerve pain.
Feb 2012- 2nd microdistecomy- much better but still have daily pain. Take Aleve in morning and Advil PM at night. Still have leg numbness- most likely permanent. Also get muscle spasms only on left side leg/calf.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Acupuncture for back pain?

Are you sure the pain is permanent and that there is not something still compressing the nerve that is resulting in this numbness, etc.? I would first be certain of this before accepting that it is permanently damaged.

I have had lots of acupuncture with three different practioners over a period of about 13 years....and consider myself quite experienced on the topic, and yet I never know how to answer a question such as yours.

It can be effective...but there are so many variables...the training of who is treating, the patient's problems, etc. I don't believe I know anyone who has received any permanent pain relief from it.

Some practioners want a person to book a series of appointments up front, saying it takes X-amount to accomplish whatever....I've never gone to that type of acupuncturist. The ones I go to adjust their treatments according to how I did that week following the previous treatment...it is flexible and changes from time to time.

I enjoy it because I find it very relaxing, but personally it could never have resolved my back pain which was mechanical in nature.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I had accupuncture a number of years ago. Off hand I can't remember if was done to help my cervical or lumbar issues.

But here is my experience. After one of my surgeries on my neck I went thru accupuncture. The cervical surgery that I had done before that was masive. In that it was a 12 hour surgery done in 2 days.

As a result of the surgery it affected my right hand in that I lost some of the use of the hand and you could see that some of the muscle between the thumb and index finger had withered away.

After going thru several sessions I noticed that the appearance of my hand had changed. It didn't look as withered as before. All of the changes that I noticed was after several accupuncture sessions.

I didn't go thru accupuncture for a long period of time so eventually after I stopped the hand went back to the way it looked prior to starting accupuncture.

To me the changes were from doing accupuncture. If I had continued I cant say what the long term affect would have been.

As to the pain in other areas I don't know if I can say it helped or not since I was doing physical therapy as well.

Good luck if you do use acupuncture. I would be curious as to the affects it has for you and if it helps long term.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

I have not, but I have recently begun cranial sacral and reflexology and I can you that it IS WORKING. But my person is very well trained and I trust her and have known her for YEARS. Trust is a big part of it.

It's not going to work like magic and make me suddenly 100% but it's helping my pain and overall health ALOT.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I see my massage therapist in 2 weeks who I've known for @ 10 years. I was going to ask her to recommend someone she knows.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think it is worth a try. Just be aware that there will not be immediate results. Results usually are subtle.

Closed Thread