It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

RTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB User
MRI scheduled, another fusion in my future.

I had fusions in Feb and June of last year. In total I am fused L3 through L5. I have a MRI scheduled for Friday and NS surgeon appointment next week. I already know that L5-S1 is herniated, they rescanning it to see how much worse it has become. Since my last MRI I have developed severe sciatica, numbness, and weakness in my right leg. I am to the point where I cannot drive anymore. I do have some concerns though. How much more range of motion am I going to lose if I have L5-S1 fused? Will I eventually develop SI joint problems after adding L5-S1? I have of heard of people having SI problems after a L5-S1 fusion.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: MRI scheduled, another fusion in my future.

Most people don't notice any difference because L5 attaches to the sacrum which is fused to begin with. L4-L5 is the segment that carries the majority of spine movement and that is the one you notice the most...but adding on L5-S1 shouldn't make any difference in that regard.

The SI joints can be more of a problem...but is usually one that can be overcome. I had some problems for about 9 months post fusion but with careful PT, the body learns the new limitations and can make an adjustment. I think where people get into trouble is they enter into PT too early, get worked too much too soon and end up with an irritated sciatic nerve, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread