It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
(male)

melliot HB User
What does lumbar MRI mean?

HI all

I have just returned from having the results of a lumbar MRI. I was referred mainly because of lower back pain, pain in my legs and bladder weakness. Previous X- rays had been clear. My full symptoms are:

Shooting pains down both legs
Burning in upper legs
Weakness in knee
Pain across lower back often have difficulty straightening up
Pain sometimes goes down to feet
Same pain has happened in right arm, shoulders and neck is often the worst causing severe headaches
Fatigue
Dizzy
Often forgetting what I am saying when speaking
Dropping things losing grip
Bladder problems
Stomach - ibs symptoms
Allergies - nasal blockage
General ill feeling
Severe depression and anxiety have had sleeping disorders

The result of the MRI are:
Normal alignment. There is a preservation of marrow signal throughout the vertebral bodies of the lumbar spine. There is dehydration of the L4/5 intervertebral disc with a small central disc protrusion which is causing impression on the theca but no significant caudal equine or nerve root impingement is seen. The terminal cord is of normal position and signal with no evidence of extrinsic compression. No further disc pathology identified.

The consultant said there is nothing wrong with me. CAn anyone maybe explain what these results actually are. She did some reflex and nerve tests and said there is nothing wrong with the nerves and then said I am hyper mobile. I really don't think I am hyper mobile. I said that. I have never been flexible in any way. She has said my body is tense and I am probably just stressed. I am sick of being told I am just stressed. Go do some yoga and you'l;l be fine.

I really dont know where to turn but I am sick and tired of not knowing mpre than anything else.

Any help? Anyone?

Thank you so much for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: What does lumbar MRI mean?

Did you only have a MRI of the lumbar area? When I saw the word "hyper mobile" it raised a flag as one sign of cervical issues is a knee reflex that is hyper-reflexive.(more responsive than normal). When something like a bulging disc is pressing on the spinal cord in the cervical area, it can cause symptoms in both arms and legs as well as things in the head like headache, dizziness, etc. But the same thing happening in the lumbar area only causes symptoms basically from the waist down...there can be bladder and/or bowel involvement if the "cauda equina" is affected...but your report indicates this is only very slightly impacted.

Lumbar issues cannot cause symptoms in the arms or hands, shoulders, head.

Many of the symptoms you list could result from cervical nerve compression with the exception of the following:

Stomach - ibs symptoms
Allergies - nasal blockage
General ill feeling

As for the lumbar MRI, as your doctor said this report indicates that your lumbar spine is in good shape. The only exception to this is a small disc protrusion between the lumbar 4 and lumbar 5 vertebrae and some signs that this area is showing signs of mild degenerative change. The disc protrusion only becomes a problem when it is irritating or compressing a nerve and the report indicates "no significant caudal equine or nerve root impingement is seen." You can look online for a "dermatome map" which will show you what area is innervated by the L4 and L5 spinal nerves. It could explain some lower back pain and pain running down the back of the leg...but none of the other symptoms you mention.

Sorry that this MRI report didn't reveal an answer to all your symptoms...but I'm afraid you're going to have to keep looking. And I would look into a cervical MRI or at least ask the doctor about the possibilities.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
(male)

melliot HB User
Re: What does lumbar MRI mean?

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have made an appointment with the GP so I will talk to him about these things.

Thanks

Mx

Closed Thread