It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

Begora HB User
Unhappy Still hurting!

Had L5/S1 Disc/laminectomies. Have spinal stenosis like a lot of people and degenerative disc disease. Nerve pain sometimes horrible down legs. Been almost 9 wkd post-op. Had to stop narcs--felt like I shouldn't be taking for so long. I survive on ibuprofen and I don't think Neurontin is helping. No PT suggested. Weird. Mean time, still hurting all down lower body. Gets old. Advice? Thoughts? Thx

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Still hurting!

I gather, since your title is "still hurting" that you never had any pain relief from the surgery? ( that you had the surgery and your pain has continued all along...or was there a period, however brief post surgery, that you had relief and that the pain returned?)

If there was a period of pain relief, then it is possible that the disc may have reherniated. Is the pain in both legs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I agree that it is strange that physical therapy was not discussed. It has been a while since I've gone thru this type of spine surgery. I would talk to your doctor and question it. Be direct. If he says no to P/T I would get a good reason as to why he/she is not recommending it.

What type of doctor did you treat with? Neuro? Ortho? I hope that they were specifically trained in spine issues.

As to how you are feeling it can be a slow process before you feel better. You really need to address your concerns to your doctor if you feel that the medication like Neurontin is not working for you. How much Neurontin are you on?

Personally I've been on Neurontin several times both high and lower dosages. And as to pain relief I never felt it worked for me.

When do you see your surgeon again? Please talk to the doctor and let us know what the responses are to what is going on and what the future plans for your treatment.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

Begora HB User

Thanks for your input! My pain moves around down legs, buttocks, lower back, etc. No, not much relief at all from surgery. More like different than better. Had an MRI post-surgery at about 6 weeks. Said it looks like "someone who just had surgery".

Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

Begora HB User

[QUOTE=pebblebeach3;5116722]I agree that it is strange that physical therapy was not discussed. It has been a while since I've gone thru this type of spine surgery. I would talk to your doctor and question it. Be direct. If he says no to P/T I would get a good reason as to why he/she is not recommending it.

What type of doctor did you treat with? Neuro? Ortho? I hope that they were specifically trained in spine issues.

As to how you are feeling it can be a slow process before you feel better. You really need to address your concerns to your doctor if you feel that the medication like Neurontin is not working for you. How much Neurontin are you on?

Personally I've been on Neurontin several times both high and lower dosages. And as to pain relief I never felt it worked for me.

When do you see your surgeon again? Please talk to the doctor and let us know what the responses are to what is going on and what the future plans for your treatment.[/QUOTE]
Pebble, thank you, first of all. I am seeing a neurosurgeon and it's 23 Jan. I will bring up these issues. I am forthcoming and aggressive when it comes to my back pain. Injured getting ready for a (canceled) military deployment. Hands kind of tied with med options (who I see) but lucky we have care at a university hospital. Taking 100mg morn/100 afternoon/200mg at night. When I see him want to be prepared. That's the reason I joined this---not a blogger !

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Begora:

Glad I could respond to your posts. I don't always get back to someone as often as I sometimes would like to. But when I can I usually like to post. We are all here for a reason and we all need some type of support.

As to the Neurontin the first time I was on it, I started off on a low dosage and followed the doctors instructions on how much to take and eventually built up to taking 3,600 mg. of neurontin. I think it was that amount or may have been 3000 mg. Either way it was at least 3000 mg.

It did not help with the pain. It was prescribed to me by my orthopedist in NY after one of my neck surgeries. This was the most severe and longest lasting surgery I had been thru. What was initially to have been a 6-8 hours surgery done in 1 procedure, things changed at the last minute. It turned out that the surgery had to be done in 2 separte surgeries and was a total of 12 hours. Twelve hours for the posterior position on the neck to put the Harrington Rods in and then a week later the anterior position for 4 hours to do the grafting. Then I had to wear a cervical collar for at least 4 months. It drove me nuts being in the collar so long. Eventually I was able to remove the collar during the day for short periods of time, but trying to sleep with the collar after a while really had a big impact on me.

When I was taking the medication I cant recall any help with the pain level. But what it did do to me was one night I was chatting with my girlfriend at the time via the computer. I dont remember the conversation but I apparently flipped out on her. the next morning I called her and asked her did we speak last night. She said you have got to be kdding me? She told me what happened. I didnt have a clue as to what she was talking about. Again that is not my normal behavior but only could assume what happened was related to the medication.

Then years later I guess I went to pain management and doctor wanted to put me on Neurontin. I told him what happened. He said I was on to much neurontin. I was skeptical about trying it again but agreed to try a lower dosage. I cant remember what he put me on but it was UNDER 1000 mg. Didnt have any reaction to it mentally this time. But it didnt do anything for pain either.

Good luck with your followup appts with your neuro. Let us know how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach3 For This Useful Post:
Begora (01-14-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello. How do you know you have nerve pain?

Anyway, you can try Lyrica. For some people lyrica helps and for some gabapentin and for some nothing. I believe Lyrica is more potent. Plus it helps to sleep.

Alll the best for you.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

I went thru an EMG and they were able to tell from the results that there is nerve damage. It tells how the nerves and muscles respond to each other. Abnormal readings could mean nerve damage. In my case I had an abnormal EMG which showed nerve damage; arthritis and peripheral neuropathy. I would also get pins and needles type of feeling. If I am right that is a symptom of nerve damage.

Closed Thread

Tags
discectomy, medication, nerve pain