It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
(male)

VolleyballBoy HB User
Lower back hurts bad...

Hello everyone, I'm 22 years old and my back is killing me. It never been in so much pain until now. I've had problem with my lower back since I left my very first job at Ashley Furniture. That was back in May, 2009 and I graduated high school in 2008. So my first job I had was basically when I got out of high school later in September of 2008. I'm also a very outgoing person too. I mainly play volleyball at the gym and even outside my backyard for exercise almost everyday. Even when I was playing volleyball my lower back will get this pain. Enough not to hurt, but enough to feel it. I just ignore it. This was even after I left my first job as well. After a while, my dad will have me pick up firewood that we cut for the fireplace inside our house. My back usually happens when I bend over to pick up things too much. So my lower back has been killing me for a while now. After all these years, my lower back has been through somewhat minor pains up until now. I went to Kwik Trip to pick up something small to eat. As I was I driving home, I notice this very sharp and painful pain in my lower back. It hurt so much that I just wanted to stop at the side of the street and just cry out, but it would worry my girlfriend cause I was heading back home. So ignoring the pain, I drove home. As soon as I shut of the car, took a step outside from the car. The back got so bad. I leaned against the car for a good minute. I was walking to the door and as I walked, my lower back was hurting so much more. Went inside the house and laid down on the bed and I told my girlfriend that my back was hurting a lot more than it has before. So she massaged my back and it still hurts. I honestly don't know what to do now. I dont have medical insurance to cover me and I just found a new temp/part time job at Dollar Tree. I just moved here to this town that my girlfriend lived in for only 3 months. So I honestly don't know what to do now. Sorry for the long story and I hope you guys can help me out on what to do now. My back is still in pain as I type this down, trying to find some answers. Please help me.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Lower back hurts bad...

Welcome to the board. Lower back pain is very common...to the point that almost all human beings experience it at some point. I assume your job at the furniture company involved lifting, so it is entirely possibly you have strained or caused a problem with a disc. This is the soft cushion between each pair of vertebrae in the spine that is subject to bulging or herniating. This can happen over time do to "wear and tear" or it can happen suddenly from an injury. Or it may be that you have a chronic muscle strain that was suddenly injured further.

The obvious quick answer is to go to a doctor, have x-rays and/or a MRI to see if something is damaged. However, I understand that you have no insurance, so this is probably not an option at the moment...so I am going to suggest that you stop the volleyball for a week or two and see if that helps. You can use ice or cold gel packs for pain, and whatever swelling that may be going on...but you'll need to do this on a regular schedule, several times per day to get much effect. Take over the counter NSAIDS if you tolerate them...and then do what you can to strengthen your back and core muscles. These two areas must be strengthened together as they work as a counter-balance. If one overpowers the other, it results in an imbalance that can lead to back issues.

If you aren't sure what to do, you can find some good books on proper care of the back and you can look online to find exercises and treatments for lower back pain. Look for a reputable site that is NOT trying to sell you a product. Do not waste your money on any product that promised a quick fix that you find on the internet.

And lastly, just be aware that back problems take a long time to get better -- even a pulled back muscle seems to take forever to feel better. Try to avoid repetitive bending, twisting at the waist, and avoid lifting heavy objects. Try to use good posture and body mechanics so you are not stressing the spine further. And try not to sit for longer than about an hour at a time -- get up and move around before you go back and resume sitting.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
(male)

pasko52 HB User

[all I can say is that in terms of probability then you have torn some ligaments or strained your muscles, for a herniated disc then you would experience either front or bag of leg cramps, pins and needles and/or numbness, I should know as I have just had surgery for a herniated disc. Go swimming, walking and rest, avoid twisting, stetching high or bending but if do these then slowly. Listen to your body, perhaps get a belt support for your back to help when driving your car. A 22 you should repair quicker than me at 52.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User

Sorry to hear you doing so bad. I don't have anything to add as teteri had given the best advice. Just hoping you feel better.

Closed Thread