It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

Westcoaster87 HB User
Exclamation Back pain and immobile

I have had minor back pain over the last few days and I thought it was cause from stress. Today I went to move a heavy table and my back completely gave out. I have been unable to walk, have severe pain in my lower back which radiates down my left thigh and my right buttock, thigh and knee. I have not been able to bear weight on my right leg for a number of hours now.

Everything I do just seems to make it worse.

I have every intentions of going into the hospital tomorrow but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 7 year old so I need to be mobile. I have taken Tylenol Back Pain (2 every 4 hours- 6 so far) but absolutely nothing is working. I am hesitant to do any hot/cold treatment in case that irritates it further.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
(female)

Begora HB User
Re: Back pain and immobile

Can you go to Emergency Room? Sounds awful! Feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
(female)

Westcoaster87 HB User

[QUOTE=Begora;5116805]Can you go to Emergency Room? Sounds awful! Feel better [/QUOTE]

I considered it but I just hate having my daughter at the hospital for (potentially) hours! I've taken 6 Tylenol Back Pain now and while the pain has decreased a bit but my right leg just is not working properly.

I'm just hoping to find some way of being more comfortable. Trying to get around at all is very painful and leaves me breathless.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would suggest you put ice or a cold gel pack on your lower lumbar spine area -- you can ice 15-20 minutes at a time every hour round the clock if necessary, being careful to protect the skin. Chances are you've either pulled a muscle or ligament, or you have a disc that is bulging or herniated. In either case, ice should not hurt it.

Usually this sort of injury is far more painful than it is serious. The muscles can seize up and go into spasm which can be extremely painful.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
(female)

Westcoaster87 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5116874]I would suggest you put ice or a cold gel pack on your lower lumbar spine area -- you can ice 15-20 minutes at a time every hour round the clock if necessary, being careful to protect the skin. Chances are you've either pulled a muscle or ligament, or you have a disc that is bulging or herniated. In either case, ice should not hurt it.

Usually this sort of injury is far more painful than it is serious. The muscles can seize up and go into spasm which can be extremely painful.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it may be that I can't do very much at all. Cold actually makes my back spasm on a normal day.

It is very reassuring that the level of pain is not representative of the level of damage. I've spent a great deal of the day thinking the worst! I will go into my doctor's tomorrow morning and see what I can do. It is night time here now so my daughter is in bed and it is a matter of getting through the night and getting her to school before heading in.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
(male)

pasko52 HB User

[QUOTE=Westcoaster87;5116747]I have had minor back pain over the last few days and I thought it was cause from stress. Today I went to move a heavy table and my back completely gave out. I have been unable to walk, have severe pain in my lower back which radiates down my left thigh and my right buttock, thigh and knee. I have not been able to bear weight on my right leg for a number of hours now.

Everything I do just seems to make it worse.

I have every intentions of going into the hospital tomorrow but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 7 year old so I need to be mobile. I have taken Tylenol Back Pain (2 every 4 hours- 6 so far) but absolutely nothing is working. I am hesitant to do any hot/cold treatment in case that irritates it further.[/QUOTE]
Appears that you may have back nerve compression (herniated disc) the leg pain indicates this so you need an MRI scan

Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

Westcoaster87 HB User

I went in this morning anticipating that I would be sent for an MRI and I was sent away with T3's and told to apply heat.

I hope the physician didn't overlook something. He made me a feel a little like as long as I wasn't defecating in my pants then I'm fine. I seriously hope it is just muscular and I'm not agitating an injury that requires more attention!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Hi and I am so sorry you in so much pain, I feel for you especially with a little child around...
I am not a Dr of course, but based on what I went through and on what I read, ice is a great idea. They usually recommend: 20 minutes ON, 20 minutes OFF, make sure you don't put right on your skin to prevent burn.

In cases like this Advil and Motrin work much better than Tylenol. They gave my husband when he did same thing as you, 4 Advil pills every 4 hours. Make sure you eat with it, no empty stomach with Advil or Motrin. It works better than Tylenol, b/c it mild anti-inflammatory and can help with muscle/ligaments inflammation.
Don't take them if you have ulcers or bleeding problems.

And of course see your Dr if you not getting better.

Best luck to you
Moldova

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

Westcoaster87 HB User

Thank you Moldova for the information :-)

I have taken 1 extra strength Tylenol (acetaminophen) for back pain (has anti-inflammatory added) and 1 Motrin (ibuprofen). The MD did not specify as to whether I should take both at full strength or both at half strength. He also gave me T3's to take if I feel the need to. I think I will save those for bed ;-)

How long did it take your husband to recuperate from his injury?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi westcoater, You did not indicate exactly what the dr said. Did he imply that it was muscular in origin? If so, in my experience the dr gives a muscle relaxer b/c a muscle pull or spasm can pull the vertebra over just enough to make the bone touch the nerve root exiting down your body causing nerve pain & the muscle relaxer helps to relax the muscle letting the vertebra go back into place. If i were you I would call the dr for a muscle relaxer if ice, heat, rest, anti-inflammatories arent helping. Also, I would call to check exactly what he recommended with the acetominophen & ibuprofen dosage. I truly hope your recovery is fast and full.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
(female)

Westcoaster87 HB User

Oh yes, sorry, no I guess I didn't.

He said that it could be a ligament sprain or a muscle strain and that he felt due to my age I should recover quickly. The Tylenol for back pain has a muscle relaxant in it but it was not working at all yesterday.

Today with the combination of the ibuprofen, acetaminophen and the muscle relaxant it is feeling much better but still very, very sore. I am still unable to walk more than about 100ft before I am forced to sit down (or have a spasm).

I do need to confirm dosage.

Thank you for your well-wishes :-)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi westcoaster, I wanted to tell you about my son, he was in college away from home and hurt his back plopping into bed. He hurt so & had no one to care for him, he certainly wasnt going to ask any of his college friends for help & was loathe to have his mother! So, he overdid & bam a herniated disc! So, please be careful even when you are better. Maybe the dr could give you a list of rules, stretches etc to follow, i would ask & i would ask for help as well!I hope you will be more careful than i was, i had had back surgeries & as a mom I lifted my children etc when i shouldnt have & felt to me like "a mom thing" that any mom would do so please be smarter than i was!

Last edited by gmak; 01-15-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: wording

Closed Thread