It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

freefloating HB User
Question l-5 was bulging and was dislogded & now free floating next to my spine.

I extremely nervous. I kept insistint that my pain level was increasing & was being as a drug seeker. It was horrible. I had, had a MRI in June & it showed I had degrenarated disc diease & three bulging disc in my lower back L-6, L-7 & the disc below L-5 which I believe is s-4. Anyhow after a 5 mo battle with the pain management I was permitted to have a second MRI & found the l-6 had dislodged & the disc had been torn in have & was freely floating next to my spine, surgery was needed. The drs. increased my meds. and arranged for that day for me to receive an eperderial, basicly a shot of steriods. He injected from the disc below l-5 & was able to place the medicine ( he said ) just in the spot. I've tried to look up the sugury that will be preformed on me & I haven't been able to find anything like it. I'd appriciate any informed info or advice that you may have. On the day I recieved the info I missed 3 calls at home 1 from the neurologist himself & 2 from the dept. I suspect to make arrangement for the surgery. Things are start to move quickly & I'm a bit nervous.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: l-5 was bulging and was dislogded & now free floating next to my spine.

Welcome to the board. Sorry you are having lower back problems and that the disc got to the point where it has fragmented.

Unless there are issues with instability, or other issues that are not mentioned, I would imagine that the surgery you are having is a discectomy. This is a procedure where they will go in and clean up the disc, removing the disc fragments and shaving down any disc material that is overhanging the disc space between the two vertebrae.

This procedure can be done with an open surgery or it can also be done with a minimally invasive procedure called an endoscopic microdiscectomy.

People usually stay overnight and are released the following day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: l-5 was bulging and was dislogded & now free floating next to my spine.

Hi free floatimg, Welcome to the board! I had two discs that did fragment @ L4-5, L5-S1 when I was 26 in the olden days i had to have laminectomies but the fragments were vaporized by laser during the surgery. I remember well the feeling I had when the dr told me so i understand i think how you feel. It frightened me. However, i think it is wonderful that medicine can now offer minimally imvasive procedures & surgeries. I hope all goes perfectly for your surgery and recovery!

Closed Thread