It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
(female)

Znky HB User
Neck/tight trapezius

I have had tight upper back muscles for a few months now, have tried massage to no avail. I feel like my whole back is out of kilter, feet overpronate, posture is a bit swayback and always tight upper back, lower, mid! Not sure what kind of therapist would be best to go to? My neck has been the problem this time though, and sitting at a computer for 8 hrs a day is the worst aways needing to twist and massage the knots.

When I tip my head back it feels good - iguess because it is the opposite motion that it has been in (forward) but i struggle to lift it back up on its own - often i have to put my hand behind to lift it. What does this mean, is something weak? What can i do to fix this?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Neck/tight trapezius

Structural alignment is important to the overall health of the back. If you can find someone who specializes in bodywork that focuses on the biomechanics of the spine, it would be ideal. Some physio therapists are trained in this sort of treatment.

Good posture begins with a properly aligned foundation. When the feet pronate, it changes the position of the ankle and knee, which in turn often causes one hip to be carried higher than the other, a rotation of the pelvis, etc. which follows on up the spine, often creating imbalances in the way the shoulders are carried, which has an effect on the neck. Perhaps the first thing to do would be to address your overpronation with a properly trained professional (not by buying over-the-counter orthotics!) I think this is a type of alternative medicine that is sometimes called Structural Integration. This seeks to get the body into better balance. "Structural Integrators use a multi-session approach in which specific strategies are developed to guide each individual into optimal balance."

When things are out of balance and alignment, it eventually affects the biomechanics of the spine. Once pain develops, people tend to compensate for the area that is painful...which can lead to more imbalances.

I would suggest you concentrate on strengthening the muscles of the back and core. It is important that one set of muscles is not stronger than another is this causes tendons and ligaments to shorten or lengthen, thus increasing the imbalances.

At work, you should set up your work area to be as ergonomic as possible. You should try to get up once per hour to walk for a couple minutes -- just changing position for a few minutes gives things a chance to rearrange....

and, I would suggest you do the following "exercise" at least once a day, twice if possible (morning and before bed). Lie on the floor or a hard surface on your back, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Pelvis should be in a neutral position. Place arms as close to the sides as is comfortable with palms facing up to the ceiling. Position head so chin is just barely tipped in the direction of the chest. (The idea is to get as much of the spine in contact with floor as is comfortable and possible.) Now, just relax. Breathe deeply from the belly so the abdomen goes up and down. Try to do this for up to five minutes.

This position allows the discs to unload and opens up the channel that allows the paraspinal nerves to "breathe." It should help with your alignment too.

Since you are used to carrying your head forward this position will feel strange and awkward in the beginning, but you will eventually find it very comfortable and it is so good for all the spinal nerves which affect the health of your entire spine.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Znky (01-16-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

Znky HB User
Re: Neck/tight trapezius

I went to a neuromuscular clinic today for a massage. She said my shoulder blades were sticking out and werent flat, my neck was not straight posturally and all the tightness is throwing things out. I am going again in a week in hope having appointments close together will help things for once, despite the cost. shes given me a good excerise to bring the shoulder blades together too - lunge position with arms on door frame leaning with chest out.
Hoping for some improvement!

Reply Reply