It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
Question 6 weeks post Lumbar Laminotomy=weird sypmtoms?

Hi,
I'm 6 weeks post L3-L4, L4-L5 bilateral Laminotomy and facet clean up on L3, L4, L5-overall doing very well. My left leg was worse going into the surgery and it's now all over the board (with weird sensations and such) but overall getting better. I'm walking about 4-6 miles a day, riding my cycle ops about 10 minutes a day, back to the pool 4 times a week doing MILD activity, doing LIGHT resistance work with my arms, back to work (sit down job), and doing most of my daily stuff-but not bending too much-no twisting, etc.

My question: since the surgery my right pelvis-hip will make a HUGE shift or something-it's hard to explain what happens but it happens when I walk. It stops me in my tracks-makes some funky sounds-and then I'm ok, I think. I have NEVER had this before the surgery and I've had this happen 7 times since the surgery. The shifting is really intense and often takes me totally off guard. Has anyone had this happen...any ideas? I see my surgeon on January 28th and I'll ask about it but thought I'd throw it out here to see if this has happened to anyone else???

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 6 weeks post Lumbar Laminotomy=weird sypmtoms?

Well...first of all, I cannot believe you are walking so far. Why are you doing so much exercise, particularly when something is hurting?? I really feel that you are pushing your luck to the extreme....

I know exactly what you are talking about with the hip thing, but I cannot tell you what is causing it in your case. For the first year after my three-level fusion, I would have this problem when I was walking a lot. Now I get it from time to time...and it is a result of the pelvis rotating due to a slip in the sacroiliac joint on one side. In my case, it affects the whole side, causing there to be a discrepancy in the length of my legs, causing the psoas muscle to get hung up and when I walk, it hurts in the hip area. Sometimes when it happens, there is almost a snapping feeling for a second, and a popping noise...but now I know it means that things have shifted and I need to reset my SI joint.

My concerns for you all along have been regarding stability. I know you had laminotomies rather than laminectomies, but they also worked on the facet joints, so I worry about too much removal of bone leaving you in a position to develop instability. That's one reason why I am concerned that you are exercising too much too soon, before your body has had a chance for the fascia, muscles and ligaments to adjust to the results of your surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
(female)

let me walk HB Userlet me walk HB User
Re: 6 weeks post Lumbar Laminotomy=weird sypmtoms?

Thanks for your reply teteri66. I guess it does read like I'm doing a lot of activity...but I'm really not. There are days when my total walking does reach 6 miles (I sometimes walk 40 mins a shot 3 x a day on the weekends...). The pool stuff is only for 20minutes and I'm in the deep end working on my walking recruitment, very slow. The light resistance training with 4 pds, sitting working on my arms so I won't go crazy (was given the ok to do that as long as it doesn't cause pain), and I was given the ok to start my cycle ops for 5 mins at the 6 week mark. That went well, so I increased it to 5 mins in the AM and 5mins in the PM-very slow. I don't do all of this daily...it's a combination of all...so it really isn't too much.

I agree that it's something with my SI joint (I have issues with those as well..have for over 10 years). The L3-L4 nerve root serves, among other muscles, the obturator externus, which covers the outer surface of the anterior wall of the pelvis....I'm not too educated on that muscle but maybe that could explain some of the hip stuff as well??

I will take your reply to heart and "cool it." I'm really not doing that much activity. It just reads like I am. I always feel better when I walk with the exception of the intermittent hip shifting stuff.

Closed Thread