It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

Bionic neck HB User
help, need advice and insight

Hi All,

First time posting. I have had two prior neck surgeries; prior interbody spacer at C3-C4 with
posterior bars and screws at C3-C4.
also, anterior fusion extending from C4 through C7

I had new symptoms and had an MRI done with the following findings;
At the C6-7 level, there is approximately 3 mm broad-based posterior disc
ossify complex resulting in mild degree of central canal narrowing. There is no
cord signal abnormality or cord compression. Neural foramina are patent
bilaterally.

At the C7-T1 level, there is a right paracentral broad-based extruded disc
measuring 5 to 6 mm AP dimension and 7 to 8 mm craniocaudal. Some of the disc
extends across midline into the left paracentral region which results in severe
right lateral recess narrowing and moderate to severe right neural foraminal
narrowing. There is uncovertebral hypertrophy resulting in mild left neural
foraminal narrowing at this level. No specific cord signal abnormality is seen
at this level.

IMPRESSION:

1. There is an extruded right paracentral disc at C7-T1 measuring 5 to 6 mm AP
dimension and 7 to 8 mm craniocaudal detailed above resulting in severe right
lateral recess narrowing and moderate to severe right neural foraminal stenosis.

2. Primarily osteophyte is seen at the C5-C6 level measuring 6 mm along the
left paracentral region. There is anterior indentation of the cord at this
level with moderate central and left lateral recess stenosis. No cord signal
abnormality is present.

I am experienceing some severe nerve pain down the back of my right arm (predominate arm) extending down to my fingers, pinkie, ring and middle finger. There is numbness and weakness in my hand. *****ly and tingleling.

I haven't been able to sleep in a bed for over a month. I am an artist and haven't been able to paint either. My Ortho wants to do surgery. Posterior fusion at c7-T1 with donor bone.

My pain says do it, but my mind says, are you sure??? Any imput or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bionic neck:
Begora (01-19-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: help, need advice and insight

Your post concerns me especially the part that says "medoerate to severe right neural foramenal stenosis.

You said that the "pain" is telling you to have the surgery as recommended by your orthopedic surgeon.
Mentally you seem to have issues which I can completly understand. Surgery is not an easy decision and should not be taken lightly.

I think there are enough issues for you to warrant having the surgery done. If you don't do it will the pain stop? I tend to doubt it? And if you don't what would the long term effects be on the nerve? Nerve Damage? And once there is nerve damage then you cant get it back. So is it better to stop the pain and stop the progression of any possible nerve damage.

I think you should express your concerns to your doctor. Let him outline the Benefits vs. Risks of surgery. And if surgery is not done then what are you riksing for quality of life in the future.

I would also suggest that when surgery is recommended, as long as you have the opportunity to do so, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from another surgeon. It coulde be another orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. Discuss with the 2nd doctor what the 1st doctor recommends as to what to do and type of surgery he is recommending. See if he agrees or not.

I have always obtained other opinions on surgery when possible. Once I saw a surgeon that said do lumbar surgery with Harrington Rods. The 2nd doctor disagreed felt 2 many risks. So I got a 3rd opinion. The 3rd opinion agreed surgery had to be done.

But in my heart and mind I knew what the answer was. I knew surgery had to be done. And I never regreteed doing it. I have had 11 surgeries in my life and always felt I made the right decision.

You adn you alone know what the right answer is for YOU. You know what to do from the pain side. You just need to be in the same place mentally. I always did sould searching for the right answer. And I am sure you will come up with the right answer for you as well.

So I suggest getting the other opinions; then evaluate what each doctor says and then think do you want to continue living life in pain. There are no guarantees on anything when it comes to surgery. Just think it thru and do what you I think you already knows what needs to be done.

Good luck; keep us posted on your decsion.

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach3 For This Useful Post:
Bionic neck (01-19-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
spinal & foraminal stenosis, spinal chord compression, spinal chord injury, spinal cord injury