It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
(male)

pcnaik HB User
Is Disc bulge curable?

Hi,

I fell over the steps and dropped on my buttok and since then pain has developed. I have gone through MRI and it shows little bulging on my lower back spine between L4-L5 and L5-S1 (state in the report, Posterior disc height loss and minimal disc bulging) on the report outcome.

Can you pl guide on this? Also I am wondering is it curable on permanent basis?

Look forward to your reply.

Prashant

Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Is Disc bulge curable?

[QUOTE=pcnaik;5120004]Hi,
I fell over the steps and dropped on my buttok and since then pain has developed. I have gone through MRI and it shows little bulging on my lower back spine between L4-L5 and L5-S1 (state in the report, Posterior disc height loss and minimal disc bulging) on the report outcome.
Can you pl guide on this? Also I am wondering is it curable on permanent basis?
Look forward to your reply.
Prashant[/QUOTE]

Hi pcnaik, Im really sorry that you are having back problems. My son had a herniated lumbar disc & had an epidural steroid injection and it healed & he has had no more problems. However, I wouldnt call this a cure because in my opinio many bulging discs heal spontaneously or with rest, exercises, physiical therapy etc. I hope that yours gets better, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
(female)

jomartin HB User

Hi,

I had a similar issue with a disc bulge when I was working in a nursing home and transferred a patient incorrectly. What worked for me was warm (very warm) water swimming. When I say swimming it was very slow, easy in a small therapy pool. There is a pool in the next town over and they keep the temperature between 85 and 90 degrees for therapy. After about six months of 1 to 2 swims a week for about 20 minutes each time I saw improvement, and now I would say I have very little pain in my back. I guess it strengthens the muscles that encase the spine. Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Yes, it is possible and people do it all the time using a variety of conservative treatments. In addition to these treatments, the person must be very vigilant to avoid any movement or activity that will further aggravate the injury. This would involve bending or twisting at the waist, pushing, pulling or reaching up overhead, and avoiding lifting anything over about 10-15 pounds.

There is a book written by a physio therapist from New Zealand who devised a series of exercises and a whole system to evaluate disc injuries that is now used by therapists world-wide. It is "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie. Many people have had results following his exercises to strengthen the back and core muscles.

My husband ruptured a disc almost 20 years ago. This was before doctors routinely suggested epidural steroid injections, and before discectomies were common. He went through a course of physical therapy...and he has done those exercises every day since! I think this is why he has been able to avoid further injury.

It generally takes about 6-8 weeks to get through the initial difficult part when the pain is acute. Then it is manageable...but you will need to be very careful to not aggravate it, as it will just reherniate.

Surgery becomes necessary if the herniated disc is compressing a nerve so badly that there is sudden muscle weakness as in drop foot, or if there is a sudden loss in bowel or bladder control. Otherwise, if you can tolerate the pain, the disc should eventually heal.

Closed Thread