It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

k9love HB User
Can spine problems cause breathlessness?

Ive had spine problems/sciatica etc for some time now, currently seeing a physio, but I get quite breathless sometimes, strange how it comes and goes, sometimes I can run upstairs and be fine, other times I feel breathless just sitting!

Could this be anything to do with my spine problems? also Ive had a pain in my right side for over two years now, been checked for kidney liver etc and all was fine, had chest xray too and that was fine.

So does anyone know if breathlessness can be caused by back problems? never asked my doc as I didnt think it could be related.

Thanks for any info.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

eggyby HB User
Re: Can spine problems cause breathlessness?

It shouldn't. The nerves that go to that area of the chest are just below the neck, not in the lower back. They are high thoracic nerves like T1,2,and 3. I've got problems there and I get lots of bad chest pain but not breathlessness.

See your primary...it could be heart or lung related.

Egg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Can spine problems cause breathlessness?

Years ago I was out for a walk before meeting some friends. All of a sudden I found a great difficulty breathing. Had trouble getting back to my car and driving the 2 miles back home. Figured I'd lie down to see if it eased up. Well after a few hours I ended up in the ER.

YES it was related to muscular/spine issues. It was so many years ago, probably over 20 years so details I cant recall.

But I did google breathing problems and spine and one post at least said that it (breathing issues) can be related to the spine especially if there is an injury in the thoracic - mid back region.

I would first check with your doctor. What spine issues have you had in the past? You can also google information and see what you come up with. But I did find one site that seemed to indicate that there "may" be some causal relationship between breathing issues and the spine...

Closed Thread