It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

8string HB User
2 week post op lumbar laminectomy advice?

So far I am doing very well since this surgery. I have no specific questions, just looking for helpful advice from others that are farther along than me. I am so worried about hurting again. I had two microdiscectomies in 2005 and 2007, but was still in pain for all those years until my surgery two weeks ago.
I decided to have a lower lumbar laminectomy on Jan 7th. The first 5 days were very painful, and the Dr. decided to use a medral dose pack. Since then, I have been virtually pain free. I am easily up to 1/2 mile walks 3 times a day now and mix that with sitting in my recliner or laying in bed. I have a small pain in my right sciatic at my butt area, and for a few minutes it will go into the back of my right knee, other times there is no pain at all.
Does anyone that has recovered from this surgery have any advice or can share their experiences with me? Will the pain in my butt area get better or worse or stay about like it is? Was there anything you did that was good, or anything that you did that was bad during your rehab. How long did you wait to start working with a physical therapist? How is life now?
Thank you,
Guy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 2 week post op lumbar laminectomy advice?

Welcome to the board.

My primary suggestion to you would be to not walk too far or exercise too much. You want to avoid causing the sciatic nerve to flare as once it gets inflamed, it can be difficult to get it back and to stop hurting. The main point in walking post lumbar surgery is to stretch out the spinal nerves. Scar tissue will be forming and filling in from now until about the 12th week, and walking is the best way to keep it from attaching to the nerve as this process is going on.

Later on you can concentrate on walking farther or faster...for now, frequent, short walks serve the purpose best.

Avoid sitting for more than about a half hour at one session. Sitting puts 30% more pressure on the discs than any other position.

If you have access to a warm pool, walking in water is a great way to rehab.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=8string;5121399]So far I am doing very well since this surgery. I have no specific questions, just looking for helpful advice from others that are farther along than me. I am so worried about hurting again. I had two microdiscectomies in 2005 and 2007, but was still in pain for all those years until my surgery two weeks ago.
I decided to have a lower lumbar laminectomy on Jan 7th. The first 5 days were very painful, and the Dr. decided to use a medral dose pack. Since then, I have been virtually pain free. I am easily up to 1/2 mile walks 3 times a day now and mix that with sitting in my recliner or laying in bed. I have a small pain in my right sciatic at my butt area, and for a few minutes it will go into the back of my right knee, other times there is no pain at all.
Does anyone that has recovered from this surgery have any advice or can share their experiences with me? Will the pain in my butt area get better or worse or stay about like it is? Was there anything you did that was good, or anything that you did that was bad during your rehab. How long did you wait to start working with a physical therapist? How is life now?
Thank you,
Guy[/QUOTE]
Hi guy, I had four lumbar laminectomies & i was told to take many short walks like down the driveway, around the living room & back to rest. I was told by my NS to walk, sit in short 15 minute intervals. Perhaps the walking 1/2 mile is too aggressive for 2 weeks & your personal recovery. Did your dr recommend that? Are you in PT yet? I really didnt progress my exercise until I went to post op PT at a month post op. In my opinion, it hasnt been long enough after surgery for the long walking and may be aggravating the sciatic nerve. However, i had nerve compression for four months prior to first surgery & it took 6 months before sciatic nerve stopped bothering me completely.
There was one thing that i did that helped alot, all my jeans felt like there was too much resistance in the thigh & pulled my back so i bought all new jeans in a softer, thinner denim fabric and different style and size so that there was far less pulling on my back. I hope that you continue to do well.

Last edited by gmak; 01-22-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typos, info

Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
(male)

8string HB User
Smile Re: 2 week post op lumbar laminectomy advice?

[QUOTE=teteri66;5121452]Welcome to the board.

My primary suggestion to you would be to not walk too far or exercise too much. You want to avoid causing the sciatic nerve to flare as once it gets inflamed, it can be difficult to get it back and to stop hurting. [/QUOTE]
Thank you both so much for your input. We are so fortunate to have the resources of BB's that allow us to share our experiences. I believe that you are both exactly correct. I walked a little farther than normal yesterday, and I did a third walk 1 hour after the second because it was late in the day. It makes sense that I inflamed my sciatic nerve yesterday. I didn't think of it that way until now. I took an anti-inflammatory today. I also had to take a pain killer last night and again today, which I haven't had to do in several days. I tried to do a very short walk today, just down the driveway and was going to try to go the distance of one mailbox (80 feet ) It hurt right away so I stopped and came back in the house. I will rest today, and shorten my distances on future walks. I am worried about scar tissue, but the NS asst. says that it is related to personal traits and not exercise. Does anyone have advice on reducing scar tissue? For the mean time, I will reduce walking distances and sitting durations. My Dr doesn't allow PT for at least 4 weeks, maybe more.
I thank you guys so much for your help, it means the world to me.
GMAC, can I ask why you had so many laminectomies?
Thank you, I'm off to lay down and rest.
I a so thankful you guys are here.
Guy

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You write "I am worried about scar tissue, but the NS asst. says that it is related to personal traits and not exercise."

I could not disagree more strongly. I'm not sure where that person got his/her information, but I absolutely think it is bad information.

The human body makes collagen tissue all the time. Scar tissue is the body's attempt to fill in a vacuum. It can either grow in following a set pattern or it grows in every which way, like a child's tangled hair. When this happens, it is much more likely to attach to a nerve as it is forming and filling in.

The main point in walking is to help to organize the scar tissue. This is best done by walking as the movement stretches out the spinal nerves better than other exercises or stretches and, at the same time, most people can tolerate gentle, without tiring out. From about the third to 12 weeks post surgery the formation of scar tissue is most active. During this time, it makes sense to take frequent, short walks rather than several long walks. Later on, one can walk for distance to improve circulation, aerobic capability, etc.

It is true that some people's bodies make more scar tissue than others...perhaps this is what the PA meant....but the best way to avoid the attachments is by taking frequent, short walks. Even pacing back and forth in the house for a few minutes counts. Just avoid walking on inclines or uneven surfaces...and be sure to get plenty of rest too. That is as important as anything else. Don't assume that if walking is good, walking far is better. It can be just as damaging to aggravate the nerves and cause inflammation. Once this gets going, it can be difficult to get it to calm back down...so better to avoid if possible.

Last edited by teteri66; 01-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear guy, I had to wait a month for PT also but you asked why i had so many "laminectomies" I should have been more specific. I had laminectomy @L4-5, L5-S1 first then i leaked spinal fluid so i had surgery again to have dural grafting which is #2 fast fwrd 7 years & i had #3 for a herniated disc & foraminectomies or otomies, leaked again & #4 fascial dural grafting again. So, I truly hope that the sciactica settles down again.

Last edited by gmak; 01-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Closed Thread