It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

wendiz HB User
Unhappy Need help/Advice ASAP please

Hi,

As you may know I had a synovial cyst removed on Dec. 20. It was a very easy procedure and i was shocked at how simple the recovery was.

Then came January 3. My Fiancee' noticed pus on my incision that was covered by the tagaderm bandage. I went directly to my spinal surgeons office and he took a biopsy and sent me over for an MRI. He discovered the infection, a hematoma and more nerve activity at the facet joint. He had some staffing issues and had to wait until Jan 4 to operate again.

The infectious disease doctor was in recovery when i woke up and said the initial testing from the biopsy was showing MRSA. I was admitted and immediately put on Vancomyicin. The surgeon cleaned out the infection, removed the hematoma and also removed more of the facet joint.

On Sunday, january 6 I began having incontinence and excruciating leg pain. Monday morning I was sent in for X rays and an MRI. I was met in my room by the spinal surgeon who informed me I now had a blood clot that needed to be removed immediately. I went in for my third sugery early that evening.

I am home now on IV antibiotics for 6 more weeks. it ended up NOT being MRSA but a regular staph infection that can be cured by normal antibiotics.

They found a cyst around 9cm on my one remaining ovary and fallopian tube that needs to be removed as soon as the infection is under control. I have appointments with all three doctors this week (Spinal surgeon, Infectious Diease and Gynocologist).

I am still having lots of left leg pain and some incontinence issues. They say the incontinence could be from the cyst putting pressure on my bladder so i need to just be patient, UGH!

My major question is about spinal fusion. I have now had about 50% of my facet joint removed as well as some fatty cushions??? that had calcified????.
They found that I am also suffering from spondylolisthesis. I figure I will more than likely be dealing with that in the future and want to know real recovery times. I am extremely tough and in good shape (or used to be before laying around for the past month, LOL). I am VP Sales for my company and need to travel almost weekely for my job. I have already taken so much time off and am concerned about having to do it again but now my lower back is killing me. I never had any lower back pain before.

I am sad because I went in to fix the incontinence and leg pain and am still suffering from both. the Dr's say my nerves were severely bruised so i am hoping this too will heal.

Any advice, support or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to wendiz:
georgie782 (01-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Need help/Advice ASAP please

Wow. You just never know what "might" happen when you go to hospital. The good news is that it is not MRSA. The rest leaves something to be desired.
I can only assume that the spondylolisthesis isn't too much or surely it would have been noticed prior to surgery. Or has it occurred due to the removal of the facet?

As you know, you will need to really stay on top of the nerve issue, particularly with incontinence issues. It is entirely feasible that the spondylolisthesis is now the source of the nerve compression, and that what is going on is more than just the nerves having been irritated and now trying to recover. You will want to get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Regarding fusion, it is a big surgery. It will depend on what needs to be done as to the recovery...but it is really difficult to return to a schedule where you must travel on a quick timetable. It has very little to do with how fit or strong you are. It is a matter of how quickly your body will grow bone cells.

The problem with trying to do too much too soon is that inflammation quickly can set in and it can ruin a surgery. I speak from experience on this topic! Most people aren't even allowed to ride in a car for the first two weeks. After this point, it is allowed but patients are encouraged to keep the trips short. Most doctors want their patients to avoid sitting for no more than 15-20 minutes early in recovery, with an hour max. before one should get up and move about. You might be able to get away with one trip but doing this on a regular basis runs the risk of ruining the surgery.

Some doctors will tell you that the hardware that is currently used is very strong and that there is less need to be careful. Current advice regarding activity is "If it hurts, don't do it." This is all well and good, BUT one never knows she has done "too much" until after it is done...and the inflammation or nerve flare has gotten going again.

Surgeons tend to not want to think about a failed back surgery or a failed fusion, but it is less uncommon than they make one think. And it usually occurs due to not giving the body sufficient time to grow bone and to get the soft tissue, muscles and fascia working together to support the new alignment.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Need help/Advice ASAP please

Dear wendiz, I agree with teteri , you will definitely have to stay on top of the nerve problems & that while i think that it is unlikely that the ovarian cyst is causing incontinence this will be revealed shortly when you have surgery for the ovarian cyst. Ive had many & the cysts resolved by absorbing but if i had surgery it was laparascopic & of slight consequence. But, how do you feel about letting this same surgeon do back surgery again after all you have been through? If I were you I would want a 2nd opinion but after being so sick I may not have this option. This would depend on how the nerve problem goes if i could wait or not. I would wait for the spondy repair but truly understand your predicament. Im so very sorry that all this has happened.

Last edited by gmak; 01-25-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: info

Closed Thread