It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
(male)

rebelstar HB User
Herniated disc or Anxiety causing symptoms

Hi

I hope someone can help me as this is driving me to distraction and I can hardly think about anything else.

To cut to the chase.

I was in a car accident in October 2010 and suffered whiplash and as part of my recovery they suggested a MRI scan mid 2011. It showed that I had mild disc prolapse in my neck and back so I had regular physio and chiro.

About a few months ago I would get a random pins and needles in my hand or foot which would go after a couple of days and then reappear in maybe the other foot or hand the next month. This also went away after a couple of months.

At the start of this year, I think I overdid it at the gym with weight training and the symptoms over the last few weeks have been a feeling of Ďbuzzingí or vibrating, pins and needles but more pronounced (they do go after a couple of days), slight joint ache and some pain in my legs and right arm and occasional coldness (this seems to have gone). Since I developed these I have seen a doctor and a spinal surgeon who reassured me that this can be common for my age (Iím 35) and that symptoms should get better but have scheduled me for another MRI at the start of February. Interestingly enough I donít have any pain in my neck or back but just occasional pain with my legs, feet and knees (I believe my muscles are spasming)

However, since then Iíve been really concerned thinking it might be MS or something more serious so I went the doctor last night who prescribed me painkillers and referred me for anxiety and ruled out MS. Typically since last night Iíve had this weird sensation around my bladder. Now I must stress that it is not the feeling that I canít urinate or that I will wet myself but more that my bladder feels pressure like I want to go the toilet and if I have had a drink than urine does come out. I also have a weird kind of tingling in my penis - again this is not a number or painful tingling but more of a kind of excited tingling. I can achieve erection and can erm what goes with that and interestingly in this stage my feelings of tingling and bladder go. Another thing that relieves it very temporary is if I squeeze my pelvic muscles.

Iíve read about cauda equina syndrome but I donít have the incontinence or not being able to go but then I get worried that this might develop? (not sure how that works and if its kind of instant or if it progresses from what I have to a latter stage). Iíve also read anxiety might be the cause and believe me I am very anxious. The latter ticks more boxes but I donít whether I am anxious because of this problem or vice versa!

Has anyone had something similar or can advise as I canít find anything similar to this?

The following user gives a hug of support to rebelstar:
pasko52 (01-24-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

eggyby HB User
Re: Herniated disc or Anxiety causing symptoms

As someone who had cauda equine syndrome operated on last March and who has also had 2 major cervical spine surgeries for advancing paralysis from nerve and cord compression, I thought I'd answer.

You might have a small spine problem from your accident but I can tell you, your symptoms don't fit the things you think you have wrong. First, you'd have back and/or neck pain. And that tingling and pins and needles would be accompanied by muscle dysfunction and a loss of reflexes which the doc would pick up on immediately. Seems like they don't see the physical symptoms that mean a diagnosis of spine problems.

But whatever symptoms we can see with any illness can also be replicated by an anxious mind. You are worried and your doctors need to do something to alleviate your anxiety. So when they do that MRI, ask to see it and ask them to explain what they do see in very plain words so you know you are okay or not. Then ask for a copy of the written report and come back here and post it and ask again. There are some very good people here who can tell you exactly what it says......good and bad.

The best way to get rid of your fears is to educate yourself. Ask them then ask here and that should help you either put this behind you or grapple with a very real problem.

Egg.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, back, bladder, herniated disc, urinate