It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

mteepe HB User
Foot Drop after Lumbar Microdiscectomy Surgery

I had a disc herniation between L4-L5 in lower back. I had a lumbar microdiscectomy and I am 10 weeks post-op. It was a successful surgery, pain went away immediately. I have absolutely no pain in back or leg, but my foot is still dropping. When I can expect this to recover? Is it possible I have permanent nerve damage?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Foot Drop after Lumbar Microdiscectomy Surgery

[QUOTE=mteepe;5122453]I had a disc herniation between L4-L5 in lower back. I had a lumbar microdiscectomy and I am 10 weeks post-op. It was a successful surgery, pain went away immediately. I have absolutely no pain in back or leg, but my foot is still dropping. When I can expect this to recover? Is it possible I have permanent nerve damage?[/QUOTE]

Dear mteepe, In my opinion, the footdrop is a serious sign of possible cauda equina syndrome, may be from previous nerve compression that has not healed yet or an indicator that there may be compression @ another level & in any case i would call my surgeon to report this sign. I hope that it is just a matter of healing for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

renee7 HB User
Re: Foot Drop after Lumbar Microdiscectomy Surgery

Hi, could you give more details on your symptoms of foot drop ? How long was it here before surgery ? did you notice any improvement at all after surgery ?
I also had L4/L5 discectomy following herniation with right side sciatica, with numbness and limited dorsiflexion starting 2 weeks before surgery and persisting after, although the sciatica and back pain were completely resolved. So far I am 6 days post-op with no improvement yet in either numbness or range of motion, of course it is still early.
From reading the experiences of other users, the nerve damage can take months and even years to heal, so keep your hopes up, and please post about your progress. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Closed Thread