It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

Lolly808 HB UserLolly808 HB User
MRI results for lower back

Finally, after years, got an MRI for my awful back pain.

Just going to put in the last two sections:

At the L4-5 level, there is disc desiccation and a mild broad based disc protrustion approximately 4 mm AP. There is some mild hypertrophic facet arthropathy, but not significant central canal lateral canal or neural foraminal narrowing.

At the L5-S1 level, there is some disc disiccation, decreased disc height and discogenic marrow changes in the L5 and S1 vertebral bodies. A 4 mm broad based disc protustion/extrusion is present, causing no significant central or lateral canal narrowing. There is moderate hypertrophic facet arthropathy bilaterally causing mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, worse on the right.

Summary:
1. The most prominent changes are at the L5-S1 level where there is disc dessication, decreased disc height and a 4 MM generalized disc protrusion associated with some moderate bilateral hypertrophic facet arthropathy. This combination of findings causes only mild lateral recess narrowing and moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, more marked on the right with intact perineural fat surrounding the exiting L5 roots.

I have mild bulging at L2-3 and L3-4 as well.

My lower back pain is getting so much worse. My PT mentioned discectomy. She thinks it would relieve my pain.

Anyone had that?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: MRI results for lower back

From the way I read things what you are experiencing really isn't out of the ordinary. To me it would fall under the category of Degenerative Disc Disease. Meaning that as we all get older there will be changes that occur naturally over time as we all age. We cannot avoid those changes.

You take any person over the age of 18 walking down the street without any symptoms whatsoever and do an MRI on them and you find that you will note degenerative changes in the spine.

The issue though is whether or not any symptoms go along with the findings. If you are experiencing any sort of pain etc then it is time to look further as to what affect it is having on your life. If the quality of life is affected then its a matter of how to treat it.

Treatment normally should be of a conserative nature meaning physical therapy; any anti inflammotory medications or pain medications.

If treatment goes unresolved or if there is an issue of doing damage to any of the nerves then you may have to consider surgical intervention.

If you are at the surgery route then I recommend the follwoing:

1. be sure to treat with a neuro or orthopedic surgeon one who is trained specifically in spine related issues;
2. be sure that the benefits of surgery outweigh the risks involved
3. spine surgery is not to be taken lightly.
4. If surgery is recommended then I recommend getting more then 1 opinion.

I have been thru several cervical and lumbar surgeries. And as good as the doctors are that I have used and respect them I feel you always need a 2nd set of eyes looking at your case. Better be safe then sorry.

And to me it is important that whatever doctor you do see whether it is for surgery or not their ability to communicate effectively with you is important. You need to be assured that they have your best interest at heart and that they will answer any concerns you have about surgery. If they cant commnunicate with you then find someone w ho will.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: MRI results for lower back

Dear lolly, I have had 4 spine surgeries & i personally have noticed that spine surgery is done to relieve nerve compression most often & a deep aching low back is more likely from facet arthropathy & nerve compression symptoms are radiating pain that you can follow the path with your finger. Looking at a dermatome map you can see the areas of the body that are innervated by the L4-5, L5-S1 nerve roots & decide where your pain is accordingly, if it is in the low back then it is probably ddd, facet joint arthropathy, stenosis etc & down the leg is nerve compression in my opinion.Have you ever tried epidural steroid injections? I truly hope that you get a correct diagnosis & treatment so that you can have relief from this pain.

Last edited by gmak; 01-25-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: info, typo

Closed Thread