It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
(male)

William7489 HB User
Post op neck issues after Cer. Neck Fusion? Plus fatigue!

On 10-22-13 I had a cervical neck fusion c5 c6 due to severe pain in the right part of my neck and arm. My right arm was basically non functioning.

The surgery was successful for the severe pain. I am able to function almost normally in every aspect. However I am having residual soreness/discomfort on both sides of my neck and shoulders. This is constant and progressive as the day goes along. Additionally after working about 4-5 hours I experience extreme fatigue which is unusual for me. THis is without using pain meds or muscle relaxers during work. However, my job requires my neck be bent down almost constantly. I don't sleep as much as just pass out without warning once I return home and after running errands. Also, even trying ambien I can't seem to sleep longer than 2-4 hours ever. I have muscle relaxers and norco which dont seem to help very much.

The xray shows the fusion healing properly but this is madness and my surgeon seems ambivilent at best and callous at worse.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you SO much!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Post op neck issues after Cer. Neck Fusion? Plus fatigue!

I've only had lumbar fusions so can't comment on the continuing pain, but I can tell you that it can take a long while for normal levels of energy to return post fusion. It is a big surgery that takes a lot out of the body. Almost everyone I that has had a fusion complains about this aspect of the surgery. Growing new bone cells requires lots of energy. I know with my first fusion, it took about a year before I really felt like the surgery was no longer controlling all aspects of my life.

Be sure to eat well, drink lots of fluids, and rest whenever you can. Since you are back to work, try to limit other activities so you have sufficient time to rest. Many people discover they are very low in vitamin D post surgery. You might ask your PCP/family doctor about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
(female)

ag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB Userag993 HB User
Re: Post op neck issues after Cer. Neck Fusion? Plus fatigue!

I had ANterior Cervical Disectomy and Fusion in Aug 2012, my biggest issue was muscle spasms. Do you thing the long work hours with your neck stretched down is causing you to have spasms? Can you raise your work up to keep it at eye level?
My neurosurgeon was a jerk about pain. See a pain management Dr! A muscle relaxer at night would help you get rest too. Good luck!
Dystonia
Arthritis

The Following User Says Thank You to ag993 For This Useful Post:
William7489 (01-28-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
cervical fusion post op, fatigued, muscle