It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

vamp41 HB User
microdiscectomy surgery

hello everyone,
Going to havemicrodiscectomy surgery on the L5 February 13th. Anyone have any stories about numbness? My whole right leg is basically numb, I have gone through the radiating pain etc...did anyone experience the numbness too and does it go away after the surgery?

Last edited by vamp41; 01-29-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: microdiscectomy surgery

[QUOTE=vampire41;5124651]hello everyone,
Going to havemicrodiscectomy surgery on the L5 February 13th. Anyone have any stories about numbness? My whole right leg is basically numb, I have gone through the radiating pain etc...did anyone experience the numbness too and does it go away after the surgery?[/QUOTE]

Hi vampire, Welcome to the back board! Sorry to hear that you are having such troubles especially with numbness. I had lumbar laminectomies & these were done to relieve nerve compression & what my neurosurgeon told me was that nerve compression can be relieved by surgery but depending on how long & how severely the nerves are compressed before the surgery can determine if there is any residual nerve damage after the surgery. I had nerve pain, some numbness, toes that didnt work for about 4 months before surgery & after it took about 6 months before i saw the last of the nerve compression symptoms go away. I hope that you come through your surgery with flying colors! Please update us on your progress & we will be hear if you need a listening ear.God bless you, vampire.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
vamp41 (01-31-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
vamp41 (01-31-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

vamp41 HB User

Hi Gmak,
Thanks for the information. I was worried more about the numbness then the pain. Can that be permanent or will it go away. How long was your recovery? I hope I can get back to putting my socks on without pain. I will update as to how it goes. Thanks

Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

[QUOTE=vampire41;5126095]Hi Gmak,
Thanks for the information. I was worried more about the numbness then the pain. Can that be permanent or will it go away. How long was your recovery? I hope I can get back to putting my socks on without pain. I will update as to how it goes. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi vampire, I was mistaken on that post, Im sorry , let me correct myself by saying after the surgery the majority of the huge nerve pain & symptoms were gone & after 6 months the sciatica was completely gone & after a year the numbness that was left over like a few toes & some patchy numbness was healed except for a few spots that didnt come back but it was of no consequence at all. My recovery was hampered by spinal fluid leaks, when i was injured i had an exploded disc & the fragments caused the leaks & when those were repaired two of the grafts didnt take & i had to have a 2nd surgery two weeks later.I hope that all your symptoms of nerve compression are relieved immediately upon decompression & have a quick recovery.

Last edited by gmak; 01-31-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: info repeated

vamp41 (02-01-2013)
vamp41 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

vamp41 HB User

Hi Everyone,
Had my microdiscectomy on the 13th and am on my 5th day of recovery. One word AWESOME. I forgot what it was like to have a good back. I still have the numbness and am sore and bruised from the surgery, but otherwise wowit feels great. I was scared going in but it was worth it. I will keep everyone posted on the progress. I walked a mile yesterday with no pain...YAY. I am worried about the numbness but hey I think it will take time.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Glad to hear you had immediate relief. Just be sure to proceed with caution. The greatest risk for a discectomy patient is that he/she feels suddenl;y so much better that they tend to want to do everything they haven't been able to do prior to surgery, and do it all at once. This results in overuse, causing a nerve flare or even reherniation.

Even though surgeons tell patients recovery is about six weeks, remember that it takes a good six months for the disc to heal to the point of being strong and tough.

In terms of walking, you are better off taking frequent short walks rather than one or two long walks. The point of walking is to stretch out the spinal nerves to keep scar tissue from attaching to the nerves as it is forming and filling in. Walking short distances frequently keeps you from overuse injury, keeps you from causing a nerve flare or inflammation and keeps you from tiring yourelf.

Also remember to limit sitting to 15-20 minutes at a time.

The following user gives a hug of support to teteri66:
vamp41 (02-18-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
vamp41 (03-13-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
(male)

pasko52 HB User

Well done on having your surgery and feeling good about it. With regards your numbness, I had numbness on my left leg front before my surgery and muscle cramps on my thigh front, after surgery and in thirteen week then I still have much the same effects but no nerve pain so I am feeling positive. Keep up the walking but not too much too soon. Best of luck

The following user gives a hug of support to pasko52:
vamp41 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
(female)

vamp41 HB User

Thanks everyone for the info. On the reherniation does anyone know the percentages of this happening. I am starting my final RN clinicals in the fall of this year and I want to be sure I am ready. The walking deels great. I worried about the numbness before and I hope it goes away but it is soooo good to not have the pain.. Thank you every one fro their input. In week thirteen are you feeling great? Hope so..best luck to all of you.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Dear vampire, Wow, sooo great to have no pain! Try to be so careful with everything so that you dont over do! This is wonderful, i remember that i had too much " fight" in me to want to be normal too fast, didnt ask for help & my friend came & did my nails & it took forever! She was trying to keep me still! Lol Those clinicals are a long way off. Best advice for me came from my neurosurgeon, he said that recovery was like stacking blocks, go slow, steady, one by one thing a day & if you go too fast all tumbles down & i would have to start over from beginning. So thrilled for you!

vamp41 (02-19-2013)
vamp41 (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
(female)

vamp41 HB User

Hi gmak, I am taking it slow and seeing how it goes. Today is post surgery day 6 and so far sooooo good. I am looking forward to longer walks and running. Thank you for the support.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

According to medical publications, reherniation percentages are low -- around 8%. I must ju;st know a weird slice of the population because from my experience, it is much higher! You can be as careful as possible, but some of it is fate or genes or ?? One hears stories of people who reherniate when coughing or sneezing.

Since you are studying nursing, I'm sure you are aware of the tremendous impact running puts on the discs....

vamp41 (02-19-2013)
vamp41 (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
(female)

vamp41 HB User

Hopefully my genes are good enough for no herniation. I do have a tremendous amount of bruising though which I assume is normal.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Everyone is different. I wouldn't worry about comparisons. Some of the bruising has to do with how fast your surgeon operates, how much blood is "lost" during the procedure, etc. It may also have something to do with the technical aspects of the micro surgery -- they may cut less but they thread instruments through layers of tissue which may break more small blood vessels.

My surgeries were all the old-fashioned open method. I didn't have any bruising.

vamp41 (02-20-2013)
vamp41 (02-20-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

[QUOTE=vampire41;5135119]Hi gmak, I am taking it slow and seeing how it goes. Today is post surgery day 6 and so far sooooo good. I am looking forward to longer walks and running. Thank you for the support.[/QUOTE]

Hi vampire41...I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well. I'm 16 days post op from microdiscectomy on L5/S1. I can't believe you walked a mile so soon! I think I could, but it is so icy and snowy here in Indiana right now. I have tried to go out and walk in the neighborhood when it's cold...but not in the ice!

Much of my pain had subsided right before surgery. I went through with it anyway, as it took me a year to make the decision to do it and I would get better and then one move would take me down. I'm feeling pretty good. I do seem to get tired, but I think it's more from lack of doing much of anything. My surgeon said the numbness would be the last thing to heal. I'm getting strength back in my leg and foot, but I'm still quite numb. I also have random aches or slight pains, but from everything I have read on here, I think that is fairly normal. It's quick, and then subsides. I have a 3 week follow-up next Thursday.

I do hope it helps others to read posts from some of us whose recovery is going well. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and me as well, that it continues in a positive way!

The following user gives a hug of support to Calin:
vamp41 (03-13-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Calin....One of the number 1 complaints post surgery is how tired people feel and how long it can take to regain strength. Some of this has to do with how long one was laid up prior to surgery and unable to get much exercise...or even walk around the block.

Just pace around your house every hour or so for five minutes. The important thing is to walk to stretch out the spinal nerves. This helps to keep adhesions from forming when the scar tissue forms and fills in...anytime for about 10 days to 12 weeks post surgery. It is imperative that you walk, walk, walk. You don't need to walk a mile. Distance is unimportant at this point. Five minutes done frequently is more effective for stretching out the nerves.

So happy you are feeling well.

Calin (02-24-2013)
Closed Thread