It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
(female)

vewonline HB User
MRI Results Questionable- help

I recently recieved my MRI results (pre my request) after my doctor told me I was fine and the results were normal.

The impression reads:

1. Mild disc protrusion T8-9 extending to the left w/o cord impingment.

2. Questionable increased signal in the ventricle aspect of the cord from T5 to T7. I cannot be certain if this is real or related to CSF flow artifact. Detailed MRI imaging of this area pre and post contrast is advised.

Is this fine, am I normal?? Mind you the results also said I have a cyst on my kidney which my Doctor also failed to tell me.

Thanks!!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: MRI Results Questionable- help

From what you posted as to the MRI report I don't see anything that should be of concern.

Having a protrusion is nothing out of the ordinary. You take any person over the age of 18 and give them an MRI and you will find some abnormalities. It is all part of the aging process and some degeneration will be noted. And it is not uncommon to have protrusions and a person will not have any symptoms. Thus, nothing to be concered with.
One good thing noted in your report is that you stated there was NO CORD IMPINGEMENT. That is good news.

As to a cyst on the kidney there is no harm in checking to see if it is of any concern. But I am going to make a general statement. Normally it is nothing to be worried about. The reason I say that is this.

First of all I was born with one kidney and I do have kidney disease. Thru a MRI that I went thru there was a note about a cyst on the kidney. Report said Right renal cyst from what I recall.

I did not know if this was anything to be concerned with. And having kidney disease I was even more on an alert for any abnormalities.

So I ran this past my nephrologist-kidney doctor. For whatever reason the cyst didn't fall within his field and I was told I should be seen by a Urologist.

the urologist reviewed the MRI that I had that showed the renal cyst. But he explained to me that normally cysts are benign and nothing to be concerned about. I think they said if I remember correctly 90% or more the cyst is nothing. So the review was done and in my case it was nothing and told basically to forget about it. BUT maybe just to do a repeat scan to make sure that no changes occurred.

So if it eases your mind talk to your doctor as to your concerns if it shouold be checked out any further. It is better to at least ask now just to be assured as to why he never told you about it.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

vewonline HB User

Thank you for your response!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Welcome to the board.

I could swear I replied to you earlier in the day...but it isn't here...so will give you an abbreviated version.

Pebble Beach covered the first point. The second point indicates there is an issue that may need to be explored further.

[B]2. Questionable increased signal in the ventricle aspect of the cord from T5 to T7. I cannot be certain if this is real or related to CSF flow artifact. Detailed MRI imaging of this area pre and post contrast is advised.[/B]

Simply put, the reporter is suggesting that there is a finding between T5 to T7 that may need to be examined further. What the reporter saw was not clear enough to determine what, if anything was going on, but suggested that there may be increased signal in the ventral aspect of the central cord at this level. He/she is not sure if there is actually something there or if the increased signal is being caused by or is related to increased cerebral spinal fluid flow. (this can be a sign of spinal stenosis) The radiologist suggests that you might want to have a detailed MRI of this specific area both with and without contrast. (Contrast just means that a type of dye is injected into the arm during the MRI which allows certain things to be better differentiated.)

This would be something to talk about with the doctor who is treating you. Apparently this would be the one who told you everything was fine...so he must not feel this is important, or, he didn't read the radiology report and only looked at the images and didn't notice....

Closed Thread