It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

Greenlight99 HB User
Post Microdiscectomy Inflammation, Pain, Range of motion

Hello,

I am 9 days post-op Left L4/L5 Microdiscectomy. I have a range of motion, pain, and tingling issues? Is this normal? The majority of the tingling in the foot and toes is after I take an anti-inflammatory. There is some slight tingling in the toes off and on without the Ibuprofen. The range of motion is that I cannot cross my leg like a guy would. My left leg cannot lay horizontal while placing my ankle on my right knee. That is painful in the Left hip as if it was in the joint. I also have pain in the left thigh in the back, similar to a charie horse but no where near as bad. That is positional and pressure triggered. I do have calf pain on both calves(more on the right). I assume that is from my pre-op walking with a limp. That has not gone away. The only way I can make them subside to almost nothing, is to take Neurontin, Robaxin, Lortab, and Ibuprofen as ordered.

I wish not to take the meds. I am not a meds person and wish not to have them in my system if I do not have too.

Is all this normal for post-op? I realize I am just a little over a weak out and I am very concerned that more maybe wrong and needs to be addressed. My surgeon believes all this is normal and says it will subside over time.(no time frame given) I cannot afford to out from work longer than anticipated. If there is issues that need addressing I rather have them addressed now and not at the 6 week mark when I am due for the check-up and release for work. That would only postpone my return and possibly loose my job.

If there is a need for more info I can do my best in fulfilling those requests.

Thanks in advance for the assistance and advice.

Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Post Microdiscectomy Inflammation, Pain, Range of motion

Dear michael, I had lumbar laminectomies @L4-5, L5-S1 & before surgery my nerves were compressed for 4 months so after i had sciatic pain, hip pain, my left leg wouldnt lay flat when ankle on knee, intermittent pain all over my legs, deep ache in lower back & back weakness that made it impossible to stand over 15 mins & it took 6 months before i felt it all subside & a year before back to my old self. I couldnt have PT until a month post op & my recovery was step by step because my NS said that recovery was like stacking blocks, go too fast & everything that you have built falls down & you have to start over from beginning. If i was 9 days post op i would take my time, be patient with my body & listen to it & if it hurt i would know that i overdid it & follow the drs post op instructions. However, if sudden footdrop, loss of bladder or bowel control which is a sign of cauda equina syndrome & is an emergency & call dr immediately or go to ER.

Last edited by gmak; 01-30-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typos

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
(female)

nora01 HB Usernora01 HB Usernora01 HB User

Hi Michael,

Please don't be discouraged about your recovery as you are only 9 days post surgery. I had L5/S1 micordisectomy in Oct 2010 and felt better after surgery. Prior to surgery I had back of left leg/foot numbness for almost a year. I was not feeling good for a few months and numbness was better but not gone. But I did things too soon and within a year I had rehernitated same disc and it was much worse than the first time. The 2nd time the pain was much worse. Numbness got worse and had shooting pain down left leg. Had 2nd microdisectomy in Feb 2012. Was much more careful this time. Also started PT about 4 months after surgery. (Dr had not had me do PT after 1st surgery).
I know meds can really suck as I hated taking the narcotics also but sometimes you need to take them. I was glad to get off them and now take Aleve in the morning and Advil PM at night. I still have partial leg numbness and I know this might be permanent but it can take nerves years to recover. There is so much unknown about the bodies nerves. Also have discomfort when sleeping and getting up in morning is not a picnic. I do stretches every morning before I even get out of bed to help loosen up.

I also get muscle spasms & cramps in left calf. Make sure on next blood work your levels for potassium & magnesium are not to low as this can sometimes cause leg cramps. But I believe most of my leg spasm are nerve related.

Slow walking in short periods of times 5-10 minutes is how I started recovery for the first few weeks after surgery. Don't walk too long as this can actually cause inflammation & pain. Remember even if the scar is healing inside healing takes a lot longer. Every patients recovery is different.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
(male)

Greenlight99 HB User

I thank you for the replies. I am taking it one day at a time. I am not rushing it. I am doing as ordered. Today has been a TON better. No meds except Ibuprofen. That has been such a life saver. I am taking 800mg at a time 3 times a day and so far it has done great. The nurse said I can take it. I did not know since before surgery they said I could not. It has been a blessing for me and appears that my issues has been due to the inflammation. Much better range of motion. I know it will come in time. This day has lifted me up and not worrying so much.

Thanks for the advice.

Michael

Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
(male)

Greenlight99 HB User

Today I am having Left hip pain. It is pinpoint and does not seems to go away. I have taken Ibuprofen and Advil. It hurts more on moving in certain positions. I also, squatted part way and bent over part way to get something from the bottom shelf of the fridge. Hurts like the dikkens.

Has anyone had this? Could there be another herniation? I do no have any pain other than in the hip. I was thinking inflammation, but I have been taking the anti-inflammitories.

Please let me know,

Michael

Last edited by Greenlight99; 02-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Closed Thread