It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
(female)

Eroyster5664 HB User
Angry Nerve damage from back surgery on my L5/S1

Hi. I am a 41 year old female who had back surgery a year & a half ago on my L4,L5,S1 & had a disc replaced on my L5 & a fusion done on my L4. after my first surgery six months later I had a second surgery done to try and remove scar tissue and pieces of bone fragments. After my first surgery I was unable to feel my left leg afterwards. It took 4 wks. Before I was even able to move my leg on my own. Since then I have numbness and hyper sensitivity down my leg into my three toes. I haven't been able to move my three toes or bend my other two toes since my surgery. I also get severe spasms & cramps, along with prickly pinching pains up and down my leg. My thigh also hurts and I am unable to feel pain on the left side of my leg. I am in severe pain everyday & with out my pain medications I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed. I am on three different types of opioids and I want to be free from all this pain medication & pain. I have had two EMG's & three cat scans. My EMG states that there is no response from my S1 & a still no healing with my L5. My L4 seems to have repaired itself. I have been told it will take up to three years for my nerves to repair themselves. I had my S1 never severed during surgery. I have done lots of research on my own on the Internet on nerve damage after back surgery and have found out their are a lot of people who suffer from the same thing and have have yet to recovery from this sort of nerve damage. I haven't been to a neurologist yet but from what I have read online it would be a waist of time & another medical bill, because unless I agree to under go another surgery where they try and repair my nerves there's not much they can do. My question is how can I find out if my nerve damage is permanent? I haven't seen any improvements with my condition. No feeling, no slowing down with the pain, no movements with my foot or toes. Plus I still have back pain. I'm so depressed. I lost my job because of my condition an waiting to recover has taken longer than what my doctor initially told me. I feel so helpless & lied to. Because my doctor never to me the cons all he told me was the pros. And now unless I pay my bill in full with him he refuses to see me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Nerve damage from back surgery on my L5/S1

Welcome to the board.

I'm not quite clear on some of the details. You indicate the disc was replaced at
L5 -- would that be the disc between L4-5 or L5-S1? Also, did you have artificial disc replacement?

Were you told the severed nerve would repair itself?

Closed Thread